The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I got some driftwood today and some rocks as well! They've been boiled and cooling for a bit now. I'm hoping to use some of them for my tank, I just don't know which one yet! Anyone want to help;) Just an opinion would be great! Also, I want to add some plants to the maybe list: Anubais Nana Peite, Hygrophila sp. 'tiger', Java Fern Narrow Leaf, Maybe a different floater, staurogyne 'porto velho'. I think that's all!

Here are the pictures:
Driftood:

Rocks:

And I have some others as well, just need to get pictures!

Also, Please help with the above questions! It'd be great!

· Registered
90 Posts
pretty sure the standard depth is one inch dirt to 2inch capping substrate. though in smaller tanks i only do one and one. you can boil, bake or otherwise mineralize your dirt but it is not a requirement you can use it as is. everybody seems to agree you need to use the miracle organics choice potting mix. there is two organics choice one called mix the other called soil, read the content label, you do not want the one with cow manure, but chicken urea is acceptable. you might be able to use your mix if you soak it in a bucket for two weeks with daily water changes to leach out the ferts. then use it, plant heavily with heavy feeders and let it grow out for two weeks. this is where duckweed can be your friend. i think the lights ok, but keep an eye out for some material that is super shiny and pliable enough to make a curved reflector out of, if you can see an image in the surface it is a good material. i wouldn't worry about CO2, soil makes it's own. There is tons of info on the forums that will clarify some of things and there are people that have been doing this longer so read every thread you can. one thing to watch out for are folks who act like the way they do things is the only way to do things, those folks are probably doing something wrong lol

· Registered
1,003 Posts
3. Well 15 watts is the highest max. Wattage you can go on the stock hood. Just make sure the package for the light says "6500k". That's the color temperature plants can get the most light out of.
4. Seachem Flourish comprehensive is a good fert. You can find it at PetSmart.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I put in the soil and the sand today:). About 3/4" of soil and then 1 1/4" of sand. Here's a picture when I ha just put it in:
And after an hour or so:

I also ordered: HC, red micro chain swords, dwarf water lettuce and ludwigia repens. Hopefully they'll be here Monday or Tuesday:). So excited!

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a picture of the tank currently!

I put in a nice piece of driftwood with some Christmas or java moss (forget which tank I got it from exactly) and one sad piece of anacharis that for some strange reason doesn't like my other tanks but will hopefully like this one!

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! It's actually builders sand, I could find any PFS and Lowes was out of play sand so I got construction sand. It takes a lot of time to clean it out but it looks great once it's done:). I think that I may have the perfect rock for Terence in one of my other tanks. It's black with a few white stripes. I'll put it in later:D. Thanks for the suggestion!

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick question. Would DIY CO2 be good in here? I mean I'm going to be adding HC to the tank and really don't want it to die! If I just put the tube thing into the part where the bubble go through the filter would that work or break up the CO2 too much? I was going to use a 2L bottle and try to not have a counter thing, but just go by what happens(ie get some ghost shrimp and see if they die or not). Is this a good idea?

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got plants today!!!! Eeeeekk! So excited! Here are some pictures of everything before I plant the tank:

Now looking up how to plant the HC!

· Registered
532 Posts
lookin good will look nioce filled in

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!!!! I am so excited for it to fill in. I just need to go get yeast to make a DIY CO2. Then hopefully it'll go faster.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Would a regular air stone work as well? I have a few of those lying around.
The regular airstones produce CO2 bubbles that aren't diffused into the water and just floats up to the surface. On the other hand, the limestone diffusers produce very fine bubbles that can be used by the plants.

Another way to diffuse the CO2 is to buy an Aquaclear 20 and stick the airline tubing up the intake pipe.

Also, I'm jealous! My ludwigia never pearls!

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The regular airstones produce CO2 bubbles that aren't diffused into the water and just floats up to the surface. On the other hand, the limestone diffusers produce very fine bubbles that can be used by the plants.

Another way to diffuse the CO2 is to buy an Aquaclear 20 and stick the airline tubing up the intake pipe.

Also, I'm jealous! My ludwigia never pearls!
Ok, I'll look for a limestone diffuser the next time I go to the store:)

Oh and thanks! I'm not sure exactly how I got everything to pearl but I did, well except the HC.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.