The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put one of these together? I know its just a kit of parts you can get on your own, but I thought it had a couple advantages.

1. they have all the parts so I don't have to hobble it together and pay shipping from various sites.
2. instructions look good
3. You put it together so you can run lengths of cords where you need to etc.
I'm going to put the water reserve in a closet so I need longer runs.

I ordered one, I'll add on here as I go.
Top-it-Off Kit Premium

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For people who want to save some cash, "King of DIY" on YouTube has a instruction of what parts to get and how to put them together.
I looked at that. It is the nearly identical parts. The only thing with Aquahub is they did the leg work and have it all in one box. You still have to put it together, you just don't have to run around getting the stuff.

I priced it out and you only save a couple bucks piecing it together yourself.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Anyone put one of these together? I know its just a kit of parts you can get on your own, but I thought it had a couple advantages.

1. they have all the parts so I don't have to hobble it together and pay shipping from various sites.
2. instructions look good
3. You put it together so you can run lengths of cords where you need to etc.
I'm going to put the water reserve in a closet so I need longer runs.

I ordered one, I'll add on here as I go.
Top-it-Off Kit Premium

I've used quite a few of their "kits". So long as you're a bit handy and dont mind working with electronics its pretty straightforward and simple. Patrick at chicago sensor was great and helped me work out a lot of my plans in my head before I went ahead and ordered it all from him; and I added on some extra features that I wanted for my own setup (led lights to indicate when certain things are on or when they turned off, extra float switches as backup/failsafes, etc).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the parts today. Bulk Reef Supply is only 5 miles down the road...dangerous! LOL..

Anyway...I was thinking about my setup. I bought the little Aqualift pump as well.
My first idea was

10 gallon bucket for RO water, put the pump on the lid. A hose into the RO and the output to the sump.
But it got me thinking. If the pump is on the lid it will be higher than the reservoir. When the pump shuts off will it continue to siphon?
Do you have to have your reservoir pump at the same level or lower than the sump?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Got the parts today. Bulk Reef Supply is only 5 miles down the road...dangerous! LOL..

Anyway...I was thinking about my setup. I bought the little Aqualift pump as well.
My first idea was

10 gallon bucket for RO water, put the pump on the lid. A hose into the RO and the output to the sump.
But it got me thinking. If the pump is on the lid it will be higher than the reservoir. When the pump shuts off will it continue to siphon?
Do you have to have your reservoir pump at the same level or lower than the sump?
I use one of the aqualifter pumps and have it hanging off the side of my reservoir bin. The pump is above the reservoir water level and above the sump water level and I dont have any issues. Honestly never even considered the possibility of that pump continuing to siphon; but it must mechanically close to prevent that.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use one of the aqualifter pumps and have it hanging off the side of my reservoir bin. The pump is above the reservoir water level and above the sump water level and I dont have any issues. Honestly never even considered the possibility of that pump continuing to siphon; but it must mechanically close to prevent that.
I'm not going to leave it to chance...AND...I got to thinking...why am I even using a 110v pump! To this right you should stay away from 110V all together. So I ordered this pump instead.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWJIC0K/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The more I got to thinking about why do any of these systems use 110v. I suppose so you can use any 110V pump on the market, but it didn't seem the smart way to go.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm not going to leave it to chance...AND...I got to thinking...why am I even using a 110v pump! To this right you should stay away from 110V all together. So I ordered this pump instead.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWJIC0K/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The more I got to thinking about why do any of these systems use 110v. I suppose so you can use any 110V pump on the market, but it didn't seem the smart way to go.

not sure why voltage is a concern? The aqualifter pump is more like an air pump that moves liquid. It takes airline tubing and moves something like 3 gallons an hour.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure why voltage is a concern? The aqualifter pump is more like an air pump that moves liquid. It takes airline tubing and moves something like 3 gallons an hour.
Why have 110v anywhere near this when you simply don't need it?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Why have 110v anywhere near this when you simply don't need it?
Short of LED lights most electrical components in this hobby run on 110v anyway. Not enough of a concern for me to bother with I suppose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.