The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not normally one to speak poorly of others but this has really gotten my feathers ruffled. I ordered plants from aquadise on ebay, apparently this person is also an active member on this forum. So I placed my order on Feb 2 and did not receive the plants till Feb 20. all plants were dead except some java moss and what was suppose to be Echinodorus tenellus. now this is enough to deserve some negitive feedback but here's the kicker. It turns out the tenellus was actually mondo grass. I can't believe they're trying to pass that off on unsuspecting ebayers. I complained and got a refund but there was no response to my emails, they just credited my paypal account. Also the plants were very small, hardly worth the money even if they would have been alive.
Just wanted to give people a warning to stay far away from this seller.

on a better note I just received an order from aquariumplants.com and was absolutely amazed by quality and size of the plants I put them in my tank last night and today they are all pearling like crazy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow, thanks for the head's up! I was just about to place an order with them. I hope for their sake that this is a one time "mess up" and that it's not the norm for their business. I'm glad they had the integrity to refund your money.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I find it hard to believe that someone would mistake Mondo Grass for Tenellus. They look totally different. In fact I can't understand why anyone that is selling aquatic plants would even have Mondo Grass around.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I find it hard to believe that someone would mistake Mondo Grass for Tenellus. They look totally different. In fact I can't understand why anyone that is selling aquatic plants would even have Mondo Grass around.
Thats exactly what came to mind for me while reading it as well.

Thats why I tend to always prefer buying from a fellow member or buy the plant at a LFS where I PICK it out, opposed to having some Ebay person ship me it.

At least you got your money back!
-Andrew

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
mistergreen: I know they do. But IMHO they don't count. 90% of their stock is non-aquatic.

Maybe if we all wrote letters to them they would stop the practice but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
mistergreen: 90% of their stock is non-aquatic.
That's not fair. My petsmart has mostly aquatics including some nice plants at good prices. Yeah they have some terrestrial crap too, but not 90%, more like 25% crap. :hihi:

I ordered from aquadise. Took 16 days and they shipped me 10 3" stubs when it was supposed to be 10+ stems of alternathea. Oh yeah, and they weren't shipped in moist paper or anything so most died. I have a few that survived that I am nursing back to health. Would NEVER buy from again.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Mac, you are the exception, not the rule....
Every Petsmart I have been to sells crapola bog plants as aquatuc, and many people buy them only to have to remove their rotting corpses later...lol

I got some great reds from Aquadise way back when on the SNS area of this forum with no problems. Sad to see it go south when I was so pleased back then.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
My local Petsmart used to have a few small tanks with a nice selection of plants for sale, and they were all aquatic plants. This was about 5 to 7 years ago, at most. But, now they have a lot of plastic tubes, each with what appears to be a terrestrial plant in them, all sitting on a shelf for sale as aquatic plants. I was there yesterday, wanting them to post a flyer about my new Sacramento Aquatic Plant Society, so I didn't complain - yes, I'm chicken!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Hmmm Aquadise lives about 15mins from me and I have ordered from him recently.

He does not allow pick-up and the reason I think that is so is because he sources from someone else and just collects money like some internet business.

I got my plants in perfect shape though a bit later then I would have expected. The guy is only 15mins away but I didn't get the plants till a week later and his reply to my email was that he was out of stock on a plant I ordered so he waited till he got it all.

Another thing is I ordered Limnophila Aromatica and it came in emersed form and when I asked him about it he didn't know what I was talking about and says that everything is grown submersed.

All in all though the plants were stupid cheap and free shipping.

·
Registered
845 Posts
About a year ago, I ordered from him and his plants were GREAT!! So last month I decided to buy some again. Totally different experience!! Most of the plants were in emersed form and I was not expecting this(as it is not advertised on his eBay auctions). They were stupid cheap and free shipping though(as eklikewhoa stated above) and most of the plants are doing really well growing into their submersed form. For me, he packed them really well, but he should really declare that the plants you are receiving are either in emersed or submersed form.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I dunno if I would call him a con artist. I ordered from him and altho the order was messed up he refunded the whole cost. I offered to pay for the parts that wern't messed up and he would not take my money.
I've been watching his auctions for a while and I don't recall him offering tenellus. But he dose have some stuff that is pictured and obviously mondo grass.
Not to mention his auctions are dirt cheap. I mean what did he get you for 3 bucks? He sells his plants thru Ebay for cheaper then most people here offer RAOK's.

Another thing is I ordered Limnophila Aromatica and it came in emersed form and when I asked him about it he didn't know what I was talking about and says that everything is grown submersed.
He accidentally sent me some. it was submersed. Its been growing back well in my tank. I will toss some in with that drop checker. no extra. but I also make no promises how shipping will fare on them. they seem like somewhat delicate plants so I'm not suprised shipping on them is rough.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I dunno if I would call him a con artist. I ordered from him and altho the order was messed up he refunded the whole cost. I offered to pay for the parts that wern't messed up and he would not take my money.
I've been watching his auctions for a while and I don't recall him offering tenellus. But he dose have some stuff that is pictured and obviously mondo grass.
Not to mention his auctions are dirt cheap. I mean what did he get you for 3 bucks? He sells his plants thru Ebay for cheaper then most people here offer RAOK's.

He accidentally sent me some. it was submersed. Its been growing back well in my tank. I will toss some in with that drop checker. no extra. but I also make no promises how shipping will fare on them. they seem like somewhat delicate plants so I'm not suprised shipping on them is rough.

Huh?

What drop checker? I got the emersed form but like the $0.69 bunches sold at the asian market they converted to submersed form and doing super good! Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else but if you want to send me a drop checker and free plants I will gladly pm you my address or even post it here for anyone else that wants to send me free stuff....:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hahahah Yeah I did get you mixed up. haha I'm sending stuff to another member who also has some zebra plecs as their avatar. I totally thought you were him and didnt even notice the dif name.

·
Banned
560 Posts
FWIW I think he is a con artist too. He send me plants that were not aquatic and were crushed. I ordered ludwigia inclinata and got a who knows what that was spotted with brown patches and looked nothing like the picture posted. I got a refund,but it was in a keep quite kinda way.<--Me keep quite yah when pigs fly.:hihi: I will never buy from and suggest you do not eather.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought a big plant package from him last year, it was my first plant buying experience. Everything arrived perfect, he even threw in some extras and was quick to answer my questions.

It seems like he hasn't posted here in a long time, maybe this isn't even the same person. If you search here for posts containing his name it is mostly people complaining. Everyone should probably search for vendors before buying anyway as some sort of feedback system.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a link to what I ordered
eBay: LIVE AQUARIUM FISH AQUATIC PLANTS ECHINO TENELLUS L084 (item 110093988368 end time Mar-20-07 21:44:23 PDT)

Here is a photo of what I received

That is not an honest mistake. but the mondo grass is doing well in a pot on my windowsill

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
yea the plants seem to cheap to be good, 5 plants for 3.00 and free shipping? its like he buys a swimmin pool and throw plants in therer wait for it to grow and then start selling it in a pool of mess

·
Registered
472 Posts
I got swindled the same way, only on something he claimed to be 'Ophiopoton pusillus' (made up name). I liked it because it was blue in the picture, which seemed unusual. Also, he had it marked as extremely rare:
LIVE AQUARIUM FISH AQUATIC PLANTS OPHIO PUSILLUS B101
Needless to say, it was mondo grass, and I threw it away.

I also ordered some hair grass and java moss. I think the hair grass was grown emersed; most of it arrived brown and dead, and the rest of it quickly turned brown under water. It has finally recovered and I have a few small clumps of green growth ... a month and a half later. The java moss arrived mostly dead as well. I attached it to two pieces of driftwood; it died completely on one, and is just starting to show some new growth (light green on a background of nasty) on the other piece. Compared to the java moss I got from a seller here, aquadise had garbage - cost more too, as I paid shipping on the moss. The packaging was decent though; plants were wrapped in a wet paper towel placed in a paper bag in a box.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.