The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my Aquaclear 30 for about a month now, tank's ammonia and nitrite readings are at 0, even put a baby Koi in it, so biologically, the filter is awesome. But it's lacking in the mechanical department. There are particles floating in my water that I know if I had one of my old penguin biowheel filters running on the tank, would be gone over night. Is there anything I can add to the filter to allow it to clear particles out of the water better?

I'm just using the setup on the box, biosponge, the carbon insert, and the biorings. I was thinking of adding purigen in, but most of my water clarity issues are from all the particles flying around my tank.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I might suggest ditching the carbon pad. The thinking goes that the tiny little pores get filled and no longer do much after a couple weeks. But my thinking is that the pad gets so it stops flow too much for the good it might be doing. Many don't use carbon except for special like colors or meds . With the carbon pad gone, I would look at a cut to fit floss pad. I don't favor filter floss too much as I kept finding fibers wound around my impeller shaft, etc. I do like this pad made by Marineland:
Lots of places to buy but this is one.I like the blue bonded as it is stiffand will stand up to several rinsings before finally falling apart.
https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Floss-Foam-Aquarium-Filter-Media/I/Bulk-Filter-Media.aspx

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely take a look into those links. I was thinking of using of the pads from my marineland biowheel, despite the carbon in it, that filter is AWESOME as far as getting gunk out of the water. I do have a baby Koi I picked up yesterday thats in my 10 gallon for the next 2-3 weeks until the pond hits 55 degrees consistently, so I want to make it as comfortable for him as I can.

Would putting the mechanical filter between where the water comes in and filter "basket" be better then just placing it with everything else? I use those filter media pads in my pond's filter and they work awesome, I'll have to order one! Could get a lot of use out of it in a small aquaclear 30. I do plan on replacing the carbon with purigen, though I think if I can get all the particles floating around, out of the water, it could help with water clarity a lot.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I used to put the fiberfil between the sponge and the bio bag and it kept it from getting out of the filter, never had floating floss or anything.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
My filter media arrangement sometimes varies with the tank and fish I have. If they are kicking up lots of debris, leaf bits, etc., I like to have a "Strainer" before bio-media just to keep the pores from getting too mcuh gunk to stop them up. If it is a cleaner tank, that may not be needed to help save the bio media. When I had HOB on tanks with cichlids that loved to spit sand, I had to add sponges on the intake to keep sand from passing throught the impeller before media. The HOB is very happy to let sand get stuck around the impeller and ruin it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Irun the stock sponge and another layer of sponge cut from 30ppi foam. Tank stays crystal clear with an extremely heavy bioload. Cichlids to boot and they are messy eaters.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm going to order one of the pond filter pads from Doctor Fosters and Smith. It's only 5 bucks for a huge pad, which should last me a long time. Its a pretty big filter for the size tank, and biologically I'm good, but with the Koi in there sifting through the substrate it's kicking up a lot of gunk that the filter, while running on full, should be picking up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If you don't end up liking it i always just put pillow stuffing on-top of my biomedia, and works great. A bag costs $3, and lasts forever.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't end up liking it i always just put pillow stuffing on-top of my biomedia, and works great. A bag costs $3, and lasts forever.
That could work too! I'm up for trying just about anything. Temporarily I took one of the tiny little whisper cartridges for the filter on my 1.5 gal, and stuck inbetween the intake section and filter basket area to see if it does anything, but the pillow stuffing seems to be pretty popular too!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Cotton balls can also work if you have some in the house. ....Or an old, blue clean sock. Just rinse it well to get any cleaner off it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a package of the Marineland filter pads (the blue stuff), and purigen too, in order to replace the carbon.

Currently filter goes like this top to bottom

BIORINGS
filterpad
Purigen
filterpad
BioSponge
filterpad

I'm hoping with the extra mechanical filtration put in there it might help, and those filter pads will allow even more space for biological bacteria to grow too. I'm hoping to see some good things out of the Purigen as well since everyone seems to love it a lot!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I picked up a package of the Marineland filter pads (the blue stuff), and purigen too, in order to replace the carbon.

Currently filter goes like this top to bottom

BIORINGS
filterpad
Purigen
filterpad
BioSponge
filterpad

I'm hoping with the extra mechanical filtration put in there it might help, and those filter pads will allow even more space for biological bacteria to grow too. I'm hoping to see some good things out of the Purigen as well since everyone seems to love it a lot!
What filter do you have and have you noticed a significant reduction in flow rate?

I am looking at ditching my carbon insert in my AC50 for one of the premade Purigen packets.

The problem with the Purigen, I read from Seachem that if you use water treatment solutions, it renders the purigen unable to regenerate. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Maybe I should make a new thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AquaClear bypass issue

Flawed design of the AquaClear ...... too many holes on the side ..... let the water bypass mechanical filtration. This is all over the net such as (along with cures):

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/161002-aquaclear-bypassing-filter-media/

I had to use duct tape on mine. I have an AC 50 which I consider a relic compared to my two Fluval C3's & one Fluval C4 (both AquaClears & Fluval C's are made by Hagen).

The Fluval C series acts essentially as a canister filter and uses polishing pads and a drip tray system. They give you unbelievable crystal clear polished water either out of the box ..... or with homemade media like I use including 50 micron polishing pads.

The only way to get crystal clear and polished water with an AquaClear (though still nowhere near as good as a Fluval C) is to use tightly packed floss (Sera Wool is the best brand) + Seachem Purigen in lieu of Carbon ..... plus aquarium safe (Teflon) duct tape to cover the holes in the sides so all water is forced through mechanical filtration.

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Paul1792/library/HOB Filtration?sort=6&page=1

·
Registered
588 Posts
Flawed design of the AquaClear ...... too many holes on the side ..... let the water bypass mechanical filtration. This is all over the net such as (along with cures):

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/161002-aquaclear-bypassing-filter-media/

I had to use duct tape on mine. I have an AC 50 which I consider a relic compared to my two Fluval C3's & one Fluval C4 (both AquaClears & Fluval C's are made by Hagen).

The Fluval C series acts essentially as a canister filter and uses polishing pads and a drip tray system. They give you unbelievable crystal clear polished water either out of the box ..... or with homemade media like I use including 50 micron polishing pads.

The only way to get crystal clear and polished water with an AquaClear (though still nowhere near as good as a Fluval C) is to use tightly packed floss (Sera Wool is the best brand) + Seachem Purigen in lieu of Carbon ..... plus aquarium safe (Teflon) duct tape to cover the holes in the sides so all water is forced through mechanical filtration.

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Paul1792/library/HOB Filtration?sort=6&page=1
I have to disagree with this although I will admit I have been looking at moving to the C series.

I have an AC50 on my 30 gal and I do not see how the water could get any clearer. Honestly, I see people talking about getting crystal clear water and I just wonder if I am either blind or doing something different. Guess I will see if I can ever get my hands on a C4.

I also use AC type media in my other filters (basically have the same setup as an AC50 in my Evolve 4 chamber, and I think it is crystal clear too.

I will do some searching on what you mention as flaws but I do not see any flaws with my AC, and this is the first time I have ever seen anyone mention it when someone posts something about an AquaClear.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Yes out of the box, the AC line of filters do have a flaw where some water will bypass the mechanical filter or all filtration (perhaps it was designed this way, I don't know). Majority of the water does flow through the mechanical filter though. A 2 liter bottle and some tape or aquarium epoxy is all you need to fix the issue, but it isn't mandatory. It all depends on how anal you are. I am anal :D

from bottom to top:
Coarse foam (original)
filter floss (low loft quilters batting - Walmart)
Bio Media

I like the media options and flow of my AC filters almost as much as the C4, but the C4 is a better filter (telescopic intake pipe, etc), but only marginally after little tweaks to the AC. I would buy a C series over an AC, but I wouldn't replace an AC with a C series. Not worth it as an upgrade. In terms of water clarity, they are both capable of the same at least in terms of my vision.

Any way here are some pics of one of my AquaClear 50's.

Here I cut out a small square of 2 liter bottle plastic to cover up the top holes on the upper half of the media basket. If you squint you can see the clear plastic and how the water is staying contained to the side chamber. the plastic is attached by scotch shipping tape. I'm cheap and won't buy another tape.

Another angle so you can see the plastic better.

Next two photos is what I did with the rest of the 2 liter bottle (can't waste that expensive plastic). I made a flow shield so that the HOB doesn't bother my floaters (Frogbit).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, I guess I will have to take a look in my AC to see what all the hub bub is about. Again, first I have ever heard about it. I have seen countless threads asking about HOB filters and almost 99% of the time there is a major backing of AC filters.

Now, I am looking at getting a C4 not because I think it is superior, but because I wanted to increase my GPH. Would you suggest a C4 or an AC70?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Have used Aquaclear HOB filter's for year's without issues.Lot's of other folk's too.
To me,,doesn't matter what filter you have. If... you are seeing floating particulates,water clarity is not up to snuff,then you are underfiltered,overstocked,overfeeding,due for larger water changes,or ..all of the above.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
To me,,doesn't matter what filter you have. If... you are seeing floating particulates,water clarity is not up to snuff,then you are underfiltered,overstocked,overfeeding,due for larger water changes,or ..all of the above.
Agreed.

I set up my AquaClears with a bag of Purigen to replace the carbon, and a sponge prefilter that usually has to be cleaned 1-2x/month.

I really like the Fluval Edge prefilter sponges. Good size for small tanks, can be found just about anywhere, and they're cheap: http://www.bigalspets.com/edge-pre-...son+Shopping&gclid=CL7NrZLMiL4CFRQaOgodFygAiQ

1 - 20 of 38 Posts