The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to decide between the Aquaclear 20 and Aquaclear 30 for my 10g. The tank will be a planted shrimp tank. I plan to put a sponge around the intake tube so the shrimp won't get sucked in. Would the 30 be too much for a 10g?

Also, where would I find a sponge to put around the filter intake?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
i'd go for the 30. you can turn down the flow if you think it's too much. it's better to have too much flow at your disposal rather than not enough.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Since the AquaClears can be throttled down go for the larger one. When you're ready for your next larger tank you'll have the filter and can switch (a month ahead of time) the shrimp tank to a sponge filter.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've got an AC30 on my 10g shrimp tank. I have a 501 zoo med sponge on the intake and its fine. Like the others said you can always turn down the flow.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
I have an Aquaclear 30 AND a Zoo med 501 on my 10 gallon shrimp tank. Both are filled with bio media and filter floss and it keeps the water crystal clear. I covered both intakes with multiple layers of media bags cut to fit. I previously had the intakes covered with sponges, but I still found shrimplets living inside the 501.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts