The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decide on a filter for a new tank I'm putting together. Do you think the Aquaclear 50 is a good choice for a 15 gallon tank? Is it too small to hide a heater in it?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
301 Posts
The fillter should be ok for that size tank. If you're trying to hide a heater in the filter you'll need to go up at least one more size to the ac70. I'm not even sure its a good idea anyway. The aquaclear filters are made of a brittle plastic and I suspect that the constant hot cycles might be bad for the plastic. It might also be bad for your bacteria if the whole box gets heated up too much.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Another thought, use a Finnex titanium heater mounted vertically next to the intake tube then hide both with hardscape & plants.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So AC70 it is! Thanks for your advice.

I was looking at the Finnex heaters but concerned with some of the Amazon reviews. I've seen a few comments about failures after 4-6 months. Any other heaters out there that would fit nicely in the AC70 or should I just try my luck with the Finnex?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
So AC70 it is! Thanks for your advice.

I was looking at the Finnex heaters but concerned with some of the Amazon reviews...
I have 4 of them all over a year old(50, 2-250s, 300w), no problems yet. I had the 300W outside from April to October in my Whiskey Barrel pond. All mine have the analog dial, which I believe is the old style that people are posting those complaints about. I don't have personal experience with the digital yet.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
LOL we call this "fish creep"!

*watches excitedly while ACFishTank spends $4000 on a new reef tank by the end of thread*

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL we call this "fish creep"!

*watches excitedly while ACFishTank spends $4000 on a new reef tank by the end of thread*
Ha! So true! Well I ended up with the Fluval and Hydor. Now I have to start saving for that LED light and I'll be able to get things up and running! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts