The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
They look like a 'black" version of the "brass" colored Coralife Aqualights to me.

I've never tried them.

Check the following out!

"Free items pre-installed to the fixture are 2x 65W CF 12,000K bulb, 2 x 65W/CF Actinic Blue True 03 bulb"

You will have to swap out the Actinic bulbs for plant friendly ones. I'm not sure, but the 12,000K bulbs may need to go also. But, then again, they may work fine in conjunction with plant friendly bulbs. I'm just not familar with these 12,000K bulbs

Their other bulbs include "65W PC Bulbs 50/50 6,400k + Pink Color Enhancing spectrum" that should be plant friendly. They remind me of Coralife 6700K/Colormax bulbs. You need at least two of these or some other plant friendly bulbs.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=296

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've tried the previous generation version - Jebo 220W PC w/o fan - and the reflector sucks, reflector is very important, especially for flourescent lights. It made out of a piece of reflective card board. After about a year, one of the the ballast died, leaving me with only 110W. I'm not sure about the reflector for this unit, but I'm guessing not that much better. If cost is a concern then I think they are great for the money, but in hindsight, I should have just gone with AH supply DIY light. It seem like T5 is the way to go nowaday anyway, so if you have just a bit extra cash, consider these brand, listed in cheap to expensive order:

- Current USA T5
- TEK T5

·
Registered
370 Posts
yea I got a couple lights from them. I paid $300 for a 36" dual 96w w/lunar lights at a LFS then got a similar fixture for $80. The difference is I got a warranty, instruction manual and full color box with the expensive one and a brown box and thats it with the aquatraders one. Its a deal

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I bought 2 lights from them when I started the hobby. Within one year both were broken. After shipping that is basically $130 lost. I will never buy from them again. I give them a rating of POS.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I hread the new version of the MH lights are actually pretty good. There is long thread on reefcentral.com about the new version MH lights.
The new MH fixtures are pretty well built. The fluorescent ballasts are decent now (from what I've read on reef central). Mine haven't burnt out yet, but they're not all a old yet.

If you want to go for a premium MH setup, then you can tell them to not include their stock MH ballast and save some money then go buy a PFO/Blue Wave ballast to hook up to your setup. Still cheaper than a Current USA Outer Orbit fixture. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's a pretty good idea actually, I also read from reefcentral (that long thread), about the new MH unit. They concluded that all you need is the new ballast and you're good to go. Still, I feel kinda cheated the first time and it's harder for me to give up my hard earn money to buy from them again. Although I am glad they are working on improving their build quality, because in the end that's what really going to keep the customers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts