The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not sure what you mean.

Using aqua soil capped with pool filter sand? I think lots of people have done that successfully.

Mineralized soil is a good cheap option as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i was just wondering since i have a couple pigeon blood discus and they seem to like the bright substrate more than dark (dark makes them pepper) and i want to grow hc but for temporary purposes until it grows in i want to have the substrate a light color
and also hopefully i wont have to buy as much aqua soil this way.. just something i was considering
since this tank it something around 115 gallons or something thats a lot of dough for as...

also the mineralized soil is it good for HC? i read HC likes acidic soil. Is mineralized topsoil acidic?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm brewing my first batch of mineralized soil right now, but lots of people are using it for all sorts of tanks. It's a much cheaper alternative to AS.

Being cheap, that's why I'm doing it! =)
I couldn't get any color quartz, so I'm going to cap the mineralized soil with Turface gray.

But bsmith782 is right, eventually the pool filter sand will fall beneath the AS.
I'm not sure about the acidity of MS, but couldn't you always add some peat to bottom to make it more acidic?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.