The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used both of these substrates before with equal success, but I am now setting up a 55 gallon tank with a "low maintenance" theme/plants. I feel I should go with the Eco-Complete this time as I find that Aqua-Soil(s) tend to break down over time and only end up getting sucked out with a gravel vac as a powder. I have a hard time knowing what is detritus and what is soil powder when I vac the substrate. I'm only growing simple plants like vals, sag, crypts and stargrass...I believe stargrass should be a lot easier than hairgrass or baby tears. One thing I always liked about the Eco-Complete was its rough texture that locks roots in better when planting.

I have seen some people use Eco-Complete as a base they cap with Aqua-Soil, but I am thinking I should be fine with some root tabs or possibly an additive or two applied before adding the substrate? I have never used substrate additives, they seem to apply more to the dry Aqua-Soil seeing that Eco-Complete comes wet "complete" in an alive form.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.