The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are ALOT of threads about which to choose, AS or Eco and it seems like the common answer is AS beats Eco, hands down. So, my questions really concern AS. First of all, I read about AS leaching ammonia into the water for the first 2 weeks to a month. What if , prior to putting it in my tank, I were to soak the AS in a bucket (or several buckets), with daily water changes, until the ammonia level was 0, would that work? And, if I did that would the AS loose any nutrients?
My other question is Ammazonia I or II? What is the difference? When deciding which one to use, what should I base my decision on?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You don't want to get wet by soaking it first because it turns to a mush sort of. Everyone has their own preference on which type they like I or II so you can read their website and this one and decide on your own. I tried both Flourite and Eco complete and over two years time, changed both of my tanks over to ASII and saw my plants take off like crazy. Read this:
http://www.adgshop.com/Substrate_System_s/1.htm

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just stuff your tank with fast growing plants. They will eat up the ammonia and the process will go faster. Change water every day or every other day. On the off days that you are not changing water you can still treat the water with Prime. That will help also.

One of the best cycling plants IMO is Najas sp 'Roriama'. It doesn't block the light, is easily removed and sucks up the ammonia. It's my favorite cycling plant. It's also a great plant for monitoring if you are dosing enough nitrate. If it's not growing you're not dosing enough.

I read somewhere that A.S. is made to release the ammonia. It jump starts the plant growth. That makes a lot of sense to me. We all know we should cycle our new tanks about a month but we don't want to wait that long. A.S. makes you wait.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took a look at the site DTHB, thanks. It seems like Amazonia II is the way to go. I have 2 more questions though. I'm not sure if anyone would know this but is there any difference between Amazonia and Malaya or Africana? The ADA site really does'nt say. Do you think its just the look? I did'nt realize there were different types. I thought it was all "Amazonia".
Also, it says it comes in normal or "powder" form. I assume that normal is a complete substrate that you put you plants in and powder is something you sprinkle over another substrate to help the plants. Is that right?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had horrid problems with the Amazonia II. I had to switch it out for the regular Amazonia. I don't think ADG is even selling it anymore, there were so many problems with it. It degraded to fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts