The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this substrate or have any experience with it themselves ? I am unable to get my hands on any Eco-Complete but the LFS said that this stuff worked really well. This is what the web says about it:

Volcanit is a pH-neutral aquarium gravel of volcanic origin developed specifically for use in modern live-plant aquaria. The fine pore structure of this structure encourages bacterial activity that enhances the biological release of nutrients from within the gravel. The results are superb plant growth. Volcanit is mixed with 10% ferrolit, a natural long term iron fertilizer derived from Laterite. The resultant black and red colors enhance the beauty of the aquarium plants and the hues of the tenant fish.

It looks like it has a derivative of Laterite mixed in with it (about 10% by weight i am assuming). Is this enough for a densly planted tank ?

I have relatively high pH (7.6) so i dont want anything that is going to raise this value.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks :icon_smil

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have heard of it but have never used it. From what I am reading it doesn't have anything in it which is why they add the laterite.

I have eco complete in my 75 gallon tank which I will be taking down in the not so near future to set up a ciclid tank. I just set up a 220 with ADA aquasoil and powersand. The ADA stuff will drop your pH a bit. Only problem is if you don't have a LFS that carries it you have to order it online and it costs a small fortune to ship it.

If you are interested in the ADA stuff you can order from adgshop.com or see if there are any stores in your area that carry it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one else has heard of this ? Please help. I cant get Eco-Complete or any other substrate other than flourite in my area.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On the bcaquaria website there is someone selling ada aqasoil.
In my opinion one of the best substrates you can get.
They are based in a suburb of Vancouver
No sure if they will ship it or not but here is a link.
Good Luck

bcaquaria aquasoil

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
New Questions:

Does anyone know what is the MM grain size range of this product?
is it similar to Eco-Complete's 1-6mm sizes, or is this stuff smaller?
is it less powdery than Eco-Complete? (a pain when vacuuming)
is it lighter thus more easily disturbed than Eco-Complete?

Aqualine Buschke Volcanit

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
volcanic pumace Is great for planted as well as for using for a filter medium. It is VERY similar to eco less the little buggys and its not prewet. (thats a good thing)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Big Als is Canadian and they sell Ecocomplete. But I like Flourite better. One can top dress it with a slightly larger gravel in your favorite color, if you don't like regular Flourite's "redness". I definately don't like Flourite "red" myself. But the original Flourite isn't too bad looking and its probably the best substrate to handle vacs, for planting, and it lasts forever too. No dust if properly rinsed. And unlike Ecocomplete, it really is inert at the get go.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18483/cl0/plantsubstrates?viewType=Manufacturer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts