The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is a long shot. I should probably be posting over at reef central :icon_conf , but then again, a lot of you guys keep salty tanks as well as plants (I only do plants)

I'll get to it. I'm leaning towards buying the light in the title because of something I saw in SPL-311's Journal. His Ocean Light has side flaps on it (see attached photo), that block light from spilling. If I am to buy this light, I must have these.

Anyone know the name of those "flaps"? Do they come stock? Are they an upgradable accessory?

I spent more than an hour ripping a hole in google and found ZILCH. Please help if you have any info.

Ted

·
Premium Member
446 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your efforts, Symbiot! I got hold of SPL, via PM, and he explained that the "flaps" came with his light (even though none of the product descriptions mention them).

When the dust settled, I did not purchase the light (I found one for twice the price that I couldn't pass up :hihi: ), but still chose HQI. The reason I chose halide is I LOVE the look of point-source lighting. The T-5's have many advantages over MH - no doubt (cooler, energy efficient, no dark spot, no UV, etc). But, we all have our list of what is important, and the thing that trumps all others, for me, is point-source. I will gladly cope with all the drawbacks of MH if it means I get all the light in one spot :).

Again, thanks for your response. I must have missed that thread on T5 lighting - it was a good read. That was PJAN's award winning AGA tank! And I had forgotten how excited everyone was when T5's first came on the market.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Hi Ted. No worries.
We must each seek the path of enlightenment..
or some such stargate like speak.

no, everyone has points they like about each light option, and thus there is a spread market out there.

I considered MH, but found didn't fully understand it, and well, didn't like it. But I've seen beautiful tanks both fresh -and saltwater tanks.
Rain's tank of old springs to mind.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
yup, they come standard with it. I didn't use em on mine, maybe I should... hmm, should I?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts