The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a aqua illumination vega led I used on reef. It has many colors but it has XML COOL WHITE CRI. I can't find the kelvon anywjere to find out of its 6000k-7000k to use on a planted tank?

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Hi I have a aqua illumination vega led I used on reef. It has many colors but it has XML COOL WHITE CRI. I can't find the kelvon anywjere to find out of its 6000k-7000k to use on a planted tank?

Typical CRI for Cool White (5000 K – 8300 K CCT) is 65
Doesn't really matter, all work.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
You have full control. Light intensity and other factors are more important than spectrum.
Run it at a much lower intensity w. A color balance you like.
Besides a more tailored to freshwater spectrum most Finnex products would be a downgrade.
Can't say I like the
Vega over a Finnex "look wise" but that is a personal choice.

https://youtu.be/gzcoW7Tw_R0
Too blue

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
What kelvin are u guys using
OK here is the "catch", most people do not run planted tanks w/ high K whites and esp. w/ a lot of Actinic because it doesn't look that good..
The "6500k" urban legend also is hard to kill.

That said, most "white" Led's for planted tanks run 8000k-6500k
white..

multi-colored and esp. multi-channel tanks can get away w/ most any whites due to adding different spectrum's.
Very high K whites have little "red" component and plants do respond slightly better to a "mixed" spectrum containing blue and red..

Just tailor the Vega to taste...

you will get more algae running too high a light then any particular "color" light..

CREE xt-e "cool white" is the blue line..

most likely those CREES are in the neighborhood of 8000k

Reactions: MoreyFan
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.