The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a heavy planted 125G new tank thats just getting established. My plants have been in for about 3 weeks.

I would like input on lighting time table. I have an aquatic life 72in light that has 8 bulbs 36in bulbs and led moon lights built in.

Currently I start at 8am with 4 aqua flora.. and end at 8pm.
At 9am I start the Midday and end them at 7pm.
8 to 7am i run Leds moon lights.

My bulbs are Front to back AMAM... Since Aqua floras are suppose be stronger I have them up front to help my higher light requirement plants/grass up front.

Should I run the AF longer or should i run the Middays longer?

I just want to make sure I have my lights setup the best way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think you are running all the lights too long. Most plant tanks are now running lights on for 8 hours in order to avoid algae issues. Obviously we need more info like wattage of your lights and the type of plants you are using, ie high or low light requirements etc. Especiallly starting out I would go with a far shorter light period and then gradually increase as needed. Start out with 6-8 hours and see how the plants do.

Are you using pressurized CO2 or excel? I think it would be prohibitive to try DIY CO2 on a tank that size.

Remember that at the beginning of a tanks set up there will usually be some diatoms and other algae issues so by decreasing the light period you can only help yourself.

What are the rest of your tank parameters and fertilizing regimen?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts