The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 3 week old aquaclear 30 filter and it just started buzzing very loud. It pumps the water just fine but makes this annoying loud buzzing sound.

Any ideas? I took it apart and cleaned it and made sure everything was in place, it seemed alright.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
612 Posts
My AC50 Is only a couple weeks old and it's making that buzzing noise too. It's not very loud so it doesn't bother me. It's actually quieter than some of the other filters I have. I don't really know what to do about it, cleaning doesn't seem to help. I guess anything with a motor is bound to make noise eventually so I don't really worry about it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well whats happening is its vibrating in the shaft it sits in. It's like it doesnt fit flush enough or it spins it to fast causing it to vibrate.

This one is making a terrible sound, its in out living room so we have to literally turn up the volume pretty high on the tv to not hear it, even so i still hear it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, why would it work fine for 3 weeks then all of the sudden start doing that?
I've heard nothing but good review on the AquaClear's. I am about to talk sh*t.

This is very annoying. The stores are closed and i cant turn it off for very long.

damnit!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i just find that so weird. i've never had an aquaclear that had issues. the only thing i hate is that sometimes the lid will rattle. aquaclears are probably the best HOB filter i know of.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i had heard, go figure once i buy one it gives me trouble.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Maybe it sucked up something hard? Mine do that when they suck up sand, but it reverts to a more quiet operation after a little bit. Try holding the detached motor upside down in a semi filled sink, plug it in, and move the motor up and down to try and dislodge whatever may be in there. I find that helps. You could also coat your shaft with a tiny bit of vaseline, although I would be wary of putting something like that in the aquarium.

Narhay.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I tried that before I posted here and it still gave me trouble, the vaseline is a good idea and probably a bad idea if you know what i mean?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to try lubricant and don't care to risk vaseline, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some silicone lubricant (in the plumbing section). It's very thick and WATERPROOF. It doesn't disolve and contaminate the water.

It also works on o-rings that might not be sealing as well as they should. This isn't a problem for you, just a comment for other situations.

Marineland used to actually pack a very small tube of silicone lube with their Magnum350 filters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts