The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Hi all - whoever is dosing with APT complete do you add excel to it as an algae preventer?
@Bent17 you have got to get out of this mindset of warring on the algae. Sun Tzu wrote the greatest victory is the fight you don't have to fight. I understand your frustration with the algae. You just have to change things around so you don't have algae in the first place. I know this is harsh advice and I feel kind of mean saying it but avoiding trouble is just as important as not causing trouble. I find myself wishing I had more algae because I'm worried about my shrimp and otocinclus not having enough algae to eat. Accept the algae. Allow it to be a part of your tank and it will go away. I wish you well.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hello Bent,

It's not uncommon for algae to grow on wood even if it's not on your plants. This is normally due to the wood supplying organic carbon and other nutrients the algae use to grow. If everything else in your tank is looking good and otherwise algae free, you're probably doing things as well as can be expected. If this is the case, your best bet is to manually remove what algae you can or use something to kill it via direct application.

That being said, if you're getting algae on the plants and substrate, then you'll need to figure out how to get your light, CO2, and nutrients in balance before going forward.

Regards,
Phil

·
Banned
628 Posts
Forgot to mention I have co2 and it goes on 2hrs before lights go on
Is this new? I don't remember you having CO2 before. Be careful with it. You have to find the right balance of light and gas. This is the best thing you could have done to avoid algae. I wouldn't add the Excel if I were you. I don't think it will be necessary. Enjoy your algae while it last.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Most of the answers to algae are found in balancing light, plant mass, fertilizer(including CO2), water changes, and not overfeeding. I think that both Excell and hydrogen peroxide can be useful tools to buy you time while finding balance in your tank. I use them ad hoc, mostly for direct application to affected areas with my pump turned off and just before a water change.

Sounds easy, right? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.