The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a school of rummy nose tetras in my planted. I love their silver bodies against the green plants. I think most tetras you would find at the usual fish store would be good in a 40 gal tank

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Harlequin rasboras, yeah not tetras but they school tight and are hardy. I had a school of 25 cardinals, never would see them as they dont tolerate high light. I have 15 h. Rasboras in my 40b im going to get more i love them.

I was torn as i always wanted rummys but since they are so delicate i chose the harequins.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I like barbs. Are they ok community fish though?
Depends on the species, some of them ( like Tiger barbs..) are a bit rambunctious in a tank of slower, calmer fish. Cherry Barbs and Checkerboards are fairly mellow and stay small. Good fish for large schools. Any barb like these should be kept in a school of at least 8.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the replies! I love the look of cherry barbs. :) I'll also look into the tetras everyone is suggesting. The tank has right now 7 guppies (don't care if fry become good snacks), & I just ordered 5 long finned panda cories.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Not one question about water chemistry in the tank?GH,pH.
Guppies thrive in hard alkaline water,tetra's might adapt, depending on how hard the water is and species.Many prefer softer/softish water.
Barb's are pretty forgiving IME.
Panda cory's seem to do best in mature tanks that are several month's old ,and prefer softer water than say guppies,or other livebearer's.
I believe panda cory's are perhaps the most sensitive of the cory's .

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a pretty big barb collection. If I restocked today it would be all black ruby barbs. They are pretty to begin with but once you grow them out for a year they get spectacular. Odessa males are also great but the females aren't as pretty as the black ruby ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.