The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my tank second hand and it came with a light that I've been using for a low plant load for a year now and it seems to be okay, but since I've added more plants I'm wondering if this light is still sufficient.

It is an Aqueon 8000k Full Spectrum Daylight Bulb, 25W 120V T8 and I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank (link here: Aqueon® T8 Full Spectrum Daylight Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp | Lights | PetSmart). I'm growing java ferns, anubias, asst crypts, wisteria, bacopa, and ludwigia.

Lighting has been the most intimidating factor in running a planted tank, and I'm afraid my understanding is pretty minimal, outside of 'plants need light' and there are plants that need more light than others.

If this isn't enough light, from what information I've given above, is there a way I can upgrade the bulb itself without having to change the hood?

Thank you as always for your support and advice!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have not done a specific 29g bow front and am not sure of the dimensions. Having said that if the light you have has been growing plants for a year that is your litmus test as it were and it passed ;). Lighting is arguably the most important factor however too little is preferable compared to too much.

In your specific case if you are limited to a single bulb and based on your deeper tank I think what you have is probably the best all round option you're going to get without adding a second light.

Now if you do decide to add a second light, I would suggest going towards the warmer k and lower par side of things to start.

But really since your tanks has been growing well for a year maybe the best answer is to simply prune things back a bit so more light gets though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.