The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
The guys at my LFS recon that i should have a KH of around 5 in my planted tank - thats all well and good cause my tap water is 3. However dosing K2SO4 to increase for potassium deficiency (i dont have pottassium test but obvious signs with pinhole)
This dose obviously drives my KH up to about 12!!! although i have not had any probs with my fish or plants. I am still having trouble getting good growth, right now i think its light but thats in the lighting thread. Should i just not worry about all this and just go with the tried and tested EI method? please advise me on dosing guys - very few ppl here i can find (even the LFS) know anything about planted tanks.
2wpg
ph 6.7
Kh 12deg
150L/45usgal
DIY CO2
According to the chart therefore - CO2 around 48ppm!!!!

Thankyou all in advance - you guys are an amazing wealth of info
cheers

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nope

The kh test change because the acidity of k2SO4 change the carbonate in CO2 in your sample but potassium do not change KH because KH is the measure of the carbonates.
however any substance that will raise or lower ph will influx in a small way on the KH reading

In a little test tube it will be a lot more dramatic

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
K2SO4 should not even have an effect of pH.

And trymypride. I see the problem with your method. It's not the K2SO4. It's your tap water. Try mixing the solution with distilled water. Or just forget about making the solution. There is no need to do so.

If the K2SO4 is making your KH go up then it is something besides K2SO4.

·
Registered
214 Posts
K2so4

Any substance have a certain PH an will have influence in small test tube.

I’m trying to find K2SO4 PH, I have conflicting answers, somebody now?

Ok Potassium sulfate have a ph of 7

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, your info has been a great help. Rex - i made the solution with distilled water originally anyway, but now i am going dry. There has been a lot of ironing out to do with this new tank and i think this is the least of my issues. Increased the tank circulation yesterday by removing old spraybar - which pointed at back wall for several ancient reasons and replacing with simple cone thing
Voila!!! Pearling plants, happy fish hooray.
New Co2 reactor went in a WOW!!!! Growing before my eyes
I think poor circulation led me to think that the co2 level was high due to colour of my indicator, however the macroclimate around each plant was rapidly being depleted of C02
better circulation has made a big difference
cheers and thanks again all

·
Registered
347 Posts
can I hijack since it seems you are set for now...

I thought that water movement made pearling "less" likely to happen? I've been thinking that w/ my good water movement that was a reason I don't see pearling other than right after a WC.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pearling

Pearling is the result of the plant releasing excess oxygen.

More water movment more oxigen and diminution of the prandtl boundary that all nutrient have to penetrate to nourish the plant.

Healty plants and good water=pearling (if good lighting is present)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.