The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of assassin snails in my little 10g that I want to transfer over to my 29g. I have new plants in the 29 and already see some pond snails, which for me is a good thing as I like the assassins and they are getting hungry in my clean 10g.

But I also love the big ole apple snails. I was hoping to get one for my 29g. Then common sense came a-knocking and I realize that may not be a very good idea.

Will the assassins take down an apple snail?

I would put him in the 10g, except that its in my sons room and I don't get to watch it very much. My 29g is in the living room and I get to watch it all day.

I once had an apple snail that I loved. Unfortunately he turned out to be the rare type that does actually eat plants and demolished my first sad attempt at a planted tank. He went to live with my moms guppies and plastic plants. I was looking forward to another one (of the non-plant eating kind this time!).

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My assassins have on rare occasions taken out a mystery snail. It all depends how hungry they get. My assassins love veggie sticks but if I forgot to drop one in every 2-3 days they start to look elsewhere for food. They do a great job on mts. I've never found a bigger mystery snail shell empty though, it's usually the smaller ones.
Who knows though it may be part of the assassin gang initiation to take out a big snail. Lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, I guess they're a risk either way! Yeah, my first (and only) apple snail took out all my plants in no time. He came out of the 'mystery snail' tank looking like all the others. Everyone kept telling me something else had to be eating my plants until I got pictures/videos of him munching down. I guess its pretty uncommon, which is why I was going to try again. But I also don't want to risk him being eaten either!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.