The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM my shell dweller tank there are 3 apple snails, above the water line i found a large egg mass ? Im pretty sure the eggs are ment to be laid in the water so i put them in the water but their probabily dead now ? Any one with experiences?

·
Banned
582 Posts
Well, yeah, they are dead now. Apple snails lay their eggs out of the water, that's why breeders keep the water level a little low or make a sort of breeding platform in the tank. They also keep a good, tight cover so the snails don't crawl out of the tank searching for a place to lay their eggs. Also, alot of apple snail breeders make a special contraption seperate from the tank to hatch the eggs in.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoops too bad mabey next time thanks for the help

·
Banned
582 Posts
LOL You are welcome. It happens. I did the same thing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so im not a complete idiot at least the snails are happy... on a lighter note my julis transcriptus gombi are digging madly under a rock and it seems like they have paired of.... Also my multies have paired of and are protecting a shell !

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mine used to breed, the trick was leaving the eggs alone long enough, generally once the babies had grown enough within the nest the colour of it would start to lighten, it would begin to look less like honey and more whitish.

Once the babies had reached that stage I'd take the nest and gently break it up in my fingers. The baby snails will have shells at that point but will drown if they get dropped into a deep tank. Also, it seems if they're left too long in the nest they eventually starve or something. That's why I broke them out when the nest whitened. From there I held them in a net rested on the top edge of my tank, this way they'd be able to crawl up to the surface and breath on occasion and it gave a more confined area to feed them in. The only food I offered was ground up flake food that seemed to work just fine. Four or five days after you've broken them out into the net they'll be strong enough to deal with a deep tank.

Don't worry, once you've got them laying you'll see many more nests to experiment with. Give the process above a try and you should get 40 to 60 babies from the process. When I finally got rid of mine I'd raised and sold hundreds upon hundreds...

Do your apples eat plants? Mine didn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts