The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read on a few sites, including apple snail . net, That apple/mystery snails need an aestivation period. From what they made it out to be is that apple snails in the wild go dormant in dry times, and thats what helps them live longer, because they have a 'rest period'. In an aquarium, there is no dry period, so they just keep going, and their metabolisms quicken, which shortens their lifespans.
I just recently lost another apple snail, for apparently no reason. the other three in the tank seem to be fine.

I was wondering how you would mock stimulate this aestivation period. A tupper ware of mud? would i need to be heated? what if the snail crawls out, or doesnt want to go dormant?

Anyone know or have experienced this?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have never done any hibernation for my snails. But you can lower the temperature of the tank and the snails will start looking for warmer temps outside the tank. Which means you can then take them out. Put them in an amphibian like tank with mud but the air and mud needs to be cool for them to think it is time to sleep. That is how I do it for my reptiles.

Not sure how long but I assume from winter to spring. Then warm up the weather.

Have your snails been breathing in enough air? I know that in some of the snails they don't breathe air and they don't seem to make it. So I just watch them and at times pull them out put enough water in a cup to cover their body/foot and let them hang out for a bit.

If you already brought them then size of a golfball then they may been older and went with old age.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts