The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Possibilities:

1 - Its not cold enough outside to create a draft (Crack an outside door to see if it helps.)
2 - Chimney may not be tall enough. It needs to be a certain height off the roof to clear the wind gusts across the peak.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have to build a good roaring blaze to get a good updraft. Weenie little fires smoke us out.
I figured as much, but I couldnt even get the fire to burn lol. I guess I didnt have enough air flow through the fire so it wouldnt stay lit, or get hot enough to catch the larger chunks of wood.

Oh well, hopefully it wont happen again. A nice warm fire is great since its starting to get pretty cold at night.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Old brick fireplace in a house built in the 1940's growing up.
We drafted the chimney before lighting the wood when the fire box was totally cold. I remember my Dad rolling up newspaper like a torch and when it was lit holding it high inside the fireplace for as a kid what seemed like forever. (maybe 2-5 minutes max)

Once the trail of smoke was going straight up rather than rolling around first he lit the wood. I don't remember smoke inside the house except when I forgot to open the flu.

HTH

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good tip! We just cram it full, light it up and close the glass doors until we don't see smoke leaking out the sides, LOL.

Thanks for the reminder- I have to order wood for this winter!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah, holding the burning paper roll up in the flue heats it up which helps get the draft going. Cracking a nearby window is also a good tip. Chimneys must be 2' above roof line if it's on a peak. If it's somewhere else on the roof you must come up until you are ten feet from the roof on the horizontal and two feet above that point. Only other problem is maybe the fireplace opening is too big, this will cause draft problems all the time. I spent roughly a decade as a stone/brick mason, chimneys/fireplaces can be a real PITA.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Good tip! We just cram it full, light it up and close the glass doors until we don't see smoke leaking out the sides, LOL.

Thanks for the reminder- I have to order wood for this winter!
I live in Texas and all the wood I cut I use for a fire pit like twice a year. I have huge stacks of cut wood. I guess because I love to cut wood. Anyways come and take some of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.