The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a single assassin to a tank of mine in March of this year. I only had a few pond snails at the time and was removing them by hand and got the situation under complete control.
Then I had a break out of pond snails in my 10g quarantine tank. So I moved the assassin in there in June. Then I had an emergency and had to go away for a couple of months.
When back in September I noticed a bunch of eggs which started to hatch in October and all turned out to be assassins!

I'm certain I didn't have any adult hitchhiking assassins ever as the one I have has a spike of algae growing on her and she's the only full sized adult I've ever seen.

Seems wild, but she must have stayed fertile for several months and then when introduced to the tank with over 100 pond snails, tons of food she started laying eggs like mad.

Does this actually seem possible?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Assassins grow much slower than other snails. When the food supply is lower i.e. the pest snails are all eradicated, the assassin stop multiplying. This is the time when you need to thin about passing asssassin snails to another tank with a pest snail infestation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Alternativly, parthenogenesis happened.... you have a female snail and all offspring are also female?

Just throwing it out there as a possibility....

Best way to confirm is if all the offspring are the same gender.... which I understand it may be difficult to sex assassin snails.... or doing DNA analysis between parent and offspring... which I can't imagine would be easy, nor cheap.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Man I bought assassin snails twice to fight my pond snail problem. Assassin's died pond snails still thriving.
No matter how many I remove they are always hundreds. I cut feeding which has no affect.

·
Planted Tanker
5,995 Posts
Man I bought assassin snails twice to fight my pond snail problem. Assassin's died pond snails still thriving.
No matter how many I remove they are always hundreds. I cut feeding which has no affect.
Be sure to keep any dead or dying plant leaves out of the system, thats another big source of food, struggling plants in general

1 - 6 of 6 Posts