The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aponogeton bulbs just won't sprout. I've had them since early February. all throughout February I had the bulbs 2/3 of the way in he gravel. Nothing happened. not a single root on a single bulb. March i made it so that only 1/3 of each bulb was covered. waited a couple weeks and still nothing. Took the bulbs completely out until now and still nothing. They aren't sprouting, growing roots, or even rotting away. What should I do? Are these just trash bulbs that will never sprout or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, they could take a couple months to show any sign of growth, as long as they are hard and not mushy they should be okay, just may take a little while. If they turn mushy throw them out.
If they are still hard they are good - if they are soft and smell to high-heaven they have rotted. They can go dormant for 6+ months but should eventually sprout...
Ok, thank you both for your responses.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not good. If you bought it with leaves..and then it never grew another? Chances are it died more than it went dormant. I stay away from all the Aponogetons. They give in best cases,a heavy growth of leaves..but thats all energy made in the wild or dirt pond raised by sellers. When they finish the flush and flowering?..chances are they wont return.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've honestly always had really good luck with aponongeton. I've had some issues with petco/ petsmart bulbs but as long as they didn't get mushy they eventually sprouted. It takes a while, but once you've got them to grow they pretty much never die- they'll shed leaves and go dormant for a couple months, but I have one now that I planted 10 years ago. I planted it in my 40 gallon after it had been neglected in my garbage tank for 8 months, still going strong. You can see it in the background in my tank journal. It's still in rough shape but it's still growing.

Little secret- buy about 10 of them, take a piece of coco mat and put a root tab in the middle along with some inert planted gravel or crushed lava rock place the bulbs in there, wrap it up with plastic mesh and place it 2/3 into the gravel. This method has worked for me with a ton of success. Make sure the root tab is at the bottom of the mat and fully covered by your substrate. It's like a red neck wabikusa ball lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not good. If you bought it with leaves..and then it never grew another? Chances are it died more than it went dormant. I stay away from all the Aponogetons. They give in best cases,a heavy growth of leaves..but thats all energy made in the wild or dirt pond raised by sellers. When they finish the flush and flowering?..chances are they wont return.
I did not buy it with leaves. It was just a dry bag with 4 bulbs. One of the bulbs went mushy so i threw it away but the rest are still tough so I'm going to just wait and see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.