The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Aponogeton plants produced a lot of new bulbs with roots, they are detached from original mother plant already and sink to the bottom of the tank. All of them have roots. Should i plant them in the substrate so I can start new plants? or should I take them out of the water, dry and let them rest, and then plant?. I am planning to set up additional tank so I could have new plants ready for it. Thnx

·
Registered
57 Posts
You have described Aponogeton undulatus which is a "live-bearer" that reproduces by adventitious bulbs that form on spikes. This is very different to most other Aponogeton that reproduce by seed from the flower or from splitting the bulb. You almost never see a flower on A. undulatus.

IME this plant does not go dormant. The bulbs will grow leaves and roots while still attached to the mother plant and sometimes get quite big before detaching. You can break them off early and plant them straight away. No dry spell or dormancy required. Often you find they naturally distribute around your tank and you'll find little ones growing up in the strangest places. Often in the middle of another plant where the growth trapped the drifting bulb.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have described Aponogeton undulatus which is a "live-bearer" that reproduces by adventitious bulbs that form on spikes. This is very different to most other Aponogeton that reproduce by seed from the flower or from splitting the bulb. You almost never see a flower on A. undulatus.

IME this plant does not go dormant. The bulbs will grow leaves and roots while still attached to the mother plant and sometimes get quite big before detaching. You can break them off early and plant them straight away. No dry spell or dormancy required. Often you find they naturally distribute around your tank and you'll find little ones growing up in the strangest places. Often in the middle of another plant where the growth trapped the drifting bulb.
thank You for the info. I planted the new bulbs into the substrate, but suddenly new bulbs started to loose leaves, they do not grow, and remaine dormant, all of them have leaves and roots. the original mother plants I got as dried bulbs, so I thought dormancy for this plant is required

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.