The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently ordered a few plants from [vendor removed] one of which being a Madagascar Lace Plant bulb or "Aponogeton madagascariensis". I usually try to only buy bulbs with leaves as I've heard lots about bulbs coming in the post being rotten and not growing. However, I just had to have this plant as it looks so cool and I've wanted it for a while and they only had bulbs without leaves in stock. So I ordered one.

Upon arrival, the bulb looked grim, in hindsight I should have taken pictures of it. There were chunks of the outer layer peeling off and it looked battered, but I cleaned it up and stuck in on the gravel and then noticed a few little stems (see attached images) and realized, they've grown the plant out of the bulb, snipped them off and sent me the plain, nutrient-deprived bulb.

I managed to make a little supporting suction cup contraption to hold it nearest to the light, hoping the little chlorophyll in the stems might be able to make some energy for the poor thing because it has absolutely 0 roots or anything.

If you've got any tips or ideas that might give the bulb a better chance of flourishing into a lovely plant as it should, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jake
Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Grass
Plant Botany Light Leaf Terrestrial plant
Insect Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Twig

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been a long time since I've kept this species, but for aponogetons in general, I've had good luck just tucking them into the gravel with the tip exposed. Normally I bury a gelatin capsule of nutrients all the way down at the bottom under the bulb, been using Osmocote Plus from the hardware store in 000 capsules recently. Works great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.