The Planted Tank Forum banner

Apisto's

1610 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  kingfisherfleshy
Whos got them? I am looking into buying a pair...and need to know what you guys are doing tank wise, and water quality wise.

What conditions do you have them in? I have fairly hard water (pH in the high sevens) but I do have an RO unit I could start mixing 50/50 with the tap to get that down.

How are they aggression wise? Are they going to kill my cory cats or my oto's?

What sort of hardscape do you give them? I was thinking about buying some pvc, cutting it in half, spray painting it black, and putting it behind some driftwood for a spawning area if that ever comes to fruition. Thanks guys!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
apistos?.. no on the killing of either.. i love them.. i have had various kinds over the years.. but you need to drop your pH closer to 7 before even trying to raise them.. if you have tap water in the tank, you could destroy their fins.. what else do you have in there.. as far as a hardscape.. i have lava rock that i have created little areas for them to hang out and spawn in
apistos?.. no on the killing of either.. i love them.. i have had various kinds over the years.. but you need to drop your pH closer to 7 before even trying to raise them.. if you have tap water in the tank, you could destroy their fins.. what else do you have in there.. as far as a hardscape.. i have lava rock that i have created little areas for them to hang out and spawn in
Nonsense. I have kept apistos in a ph of 7.8 and rather hard for years. I have a wild caught pair that just bred in my 75g... ph 7.8(pre co2--but co2 induced ph changes are irrelevant) and moderately hard water.

There are even APistos that come from hard water.

If they are tank bred, then you can keep them in just about anything. THe pH will not effect their fins. Further, GH and KH are much more important than pH, but the MOST important thing is that you offer stable conditions and you acclimate them slowly.
I'd research species before you get them- some are more aggressive than others, and some require different water parameters, tank sizes, and tankmates than others. www.apistogramma.com is a good resource.
I have been doing research, but as you can see, opinions vary.

These will be captive raised. Specie: Apistogramma cacatuoides

Hardscape is currently just a piece of driftwood that almost extends to the surface. Thinking about putting the "half-pipe" pvc behind that.

Its either this or Im going to shoot for some baby discus to raise out for a bigger tank. The cost will be the same either way so I am weighing my options. Both have been heavily researched for a long time...now I just want to know the personal experiences of people with apistos.

Thanks
Cacs are very undemanding. Have spawned for me numerous times in my water. I have never done anything to change it.

I have wild caught that are even thriving in these conditions. Very few are overly aggressive to tankmates.
If they kill my cory "bowser" I will be very unhappy. Same with the otos...the tank was holding a baby SMB...until he killed the clean up crew. Algae started to come in, and thats when I did a tear down and got that little bugger out.

Excited for whatever I end up getting...but hearing that about the cockatoos is definitely a plus for me.
I think many over estimate their size and aggression. They really are very small. Mine have never shown aggression to anything other than other apistos or the c. regani eating their fry(that is the natural progression in the real world. C regani thrive on apisto fry... and thus why they are housed together in my tank).

Still, they have done no damage to the fish they have tried to attack. My otos, rasbora, and plecs are all unharmed.
But, check out the forum laura recommended. It is awesome and full of info.
Nonsense. I have kept apistos in a ph of 7.8 and rather hard for years. I have a wild caught pair that just bred in my 75g... ph 7.8(pre co2--but co2 induced ph changes are irrelevant) and moderately hard water.

There are even APistos that come from hard water.

If they are tank bred, then you can keep them in just about anything. THe pH will not effect their fins. Further, GH and KH are much more important than pH, but the MOST important thing is that you offer stable conditions and you acclimate them slowly.
im speaking from the water we have here in SD.. absolutely horrible.. ive tried tap with my fish and it just destroys there fins.. just my opinion
My tap water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate...it is also phospate free. I live out in the country, with a very pure well here in rural wisconsin.

What do people think of the pvc. I am not going to use the RO now by the sounds of it...but I definitely will be drip acclimating these fish when they get here, regardless of what I get.
I have a couple of section of pvc in mine, looks pretty industrial. Small clay flower pots laid on their sides work well.

Adult fish will do well in a fairly wide range of hardness and pH. I have read that the pH affects the sex ratio of the brood. When my A. steindachneri bred all offspring were male I had a neutral pH.
Thats why I would spray paint it black and hide it behind the driftwood. I just want to make sure that they have a place to call their own if they want it. Dont want them to be stressed because they lack a good spawning site.

Im now considering buying some A. viejita II for my apisto pair...who knows. Also still discus shopping! :D
I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics of PVC and would go the route of hollowed out moss-covered coconut shells, DIY rock caves (you can make your own "cichlid rocks"), or just giving them a big tangle of driftwood, personally.
+1 what lauralee said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have driftwood...do the spawn on the top of a cave...or where? As long as they dont need a surface directly above them we should be okay.
If they can create a cave under the wood it will work, that's where mine spawned.
Hmm...substrate is almost 3" deep towards the back. Maybe?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.