The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a new tank, and need advice on whether stocking apistos with GBRs can work in the following conditions.

38 gal (144L) tank with footprint 36"Lx13"Dx20"H (91x33x50)
cycled
low-tech planted, FPS substrate, rock and wood caves

potential inhabitants:
15 x Emerald Eye Rasbora (Rasbora dorsiocellata macrophthalma)
5 x False Julii Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
1 x Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila)
3 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
2 x Apistogramma viejita "gold"
2 x German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

I suspect that I'll have difficult obtaining the Apistogramma viejita "gold," so they will likely be added last.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Probably doable, you want to give dwarf cichlids about 20 gallons a pair. You might have to reduce some of the other stock and make sure to adequately break up direct line of sight

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Apistos and GBRs can work together. I personally wouldnt do it just based off the amount you have stocked. If you do decide to go apisto, look up the hongsloi

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am planning a new tank, and need advice on whether stocking apistos with GBRs can work in the following conditions.

38 gal (144L) tank with footprint 36"Lx13"Dx20"H (91x33x50)
cycled
low-tech planted, FPS substrate, rock and wood caves

potential inhabitants:
15 x Emerald Eye Rasbora (Rasbora dorsiocellata macrophthalma)
5 x False Julii Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
1 x Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila)
3 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
2 x Apistogramma viejita "gold"
2 x German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

I suspect that I'll have difficult obtaining the Apistogramma viejita "gold," so they will likely be added last.

Any thoughts?
It is possible if given a good amount of coverage to block each groups line of sight. Driftwood, plants, caves will help with easing possibly aggression. As for your Ap. Viejita "gold" goes they most likely are not Viejitas. Most are a common strain of Ap. Macmasteri. The actual Viejita itself I've read has not been seen in the hobby for a long time. Either way you'll love your Apistos and I wouldn't be surprised if you caught the Apisto bug like a lot of us have. I believe there are over 250 species of Apistos atm. I currently have three but have kept five species so far (just got into the hobby about a year ago) all are awesome. GL with your setup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I chose the rasboras based on their distinctive but not distracting appearance. I want something interesting, but not something that would pull too much attention away from the colorful apistos and GBRs.

The two schooling fish I considered as my "top dwellers" are emerald eye rasboras or red eye tetras. Both get larger than I would prefer, but I'm still attracted to both species. I am leaning toward the rasboras because I saw a school of them in a display tank at my LFS and really enjoyed watching them. They are beautiful, if understated, and school really nicely. Based on the advice given, I could halve the size of the school.

I'm reluctant to give up the sparkling gourami, but I could cut back the false juliis to a school of 3 or look into a smaller cory species.

As for the apisto. I did my best to research the many types. Based on images I've found online, the Apistogramma viejita "gold" is my preferred type. From what I've found online they look like this:

I know I may not be able to find exactly what I'm looking for, and I'll compromise if I must. The viejita gold, or something with a similar appearance is my ideal.

Thank you so much for all of the feedback. It's been really helpful.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an added note, I'm not new to the hobby, I've just been away from it for several years. I previously kept several tanks, including a tank of tanganyikan cichlids. I've never kept dwarf cichlids, so I'm looking forward to the new experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts