The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of Apistos jumping out of an open topped tank? I just got some Agassizi's and cannot find any good info using google. Right now I prefer to leave my tanks uncovered.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
It's possible. If you're worried about it, throw a bunch of floating plants in your tank to help the Apistos feel more secure. Once the fish are fully acclimated and happy, they'll have less of a chance to jump. Most fish seem to jump out within the first couple weeks, IME

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have kept various apistos over the years, and none ever jumped. I find they are definitely structure oriented fish, so pieces of bogwood and rocks do help them feel secure. All my tanks are open top too actually, and the only tank that I'm scared about jumpers I have covered with frogbit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have apistos in an open topped 29 gallon tank and they have never jumped out (for that matter none of my fish in that tank have jumped out).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I lost a beautiful wild male a. bitaeniata when he jumped out of the tank. CO2 was too high and he freaked. Under normal circumstances though I wouldn't characterize apistos as jumpers. With enough hiding places available to them they like to stay on or near the bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts