The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you keep apistos, I have a couple questions. I have a 36 gallon community that I am switching over to a black water biotope. I have and will keep 10 rummy nose tetras and 5 otos, as well as a couple sword plants, and I will as valisneria, and I would like the focus to be apistogramas. My question is do you have to keep them in pairs or harems, or can they do well as individuals of a few different species? I don't really want to deal with fry, which is why I'd rather not go with harems, but if I need to, what is the ideal number of males and females per species?

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said, I'd rather not breed them, but some sources seem to say that they do best kept in groups.

For water parameters, the water is 3dKH, and the pH is about 7, maybe a little bit above that. I will lower that to about 6.5 as I switch it over to an Amazon tank.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
As I said, I'd rather not breed them, but some sources seem to say that they do best kept in groups.

For water parameters, the water is 3dKH, and the pH is about 7, maybe a little bit above that. I will lower that to about 6.5 as I switch it over to an Amazon tank.
ok well I would try apistogramma cacatuoides..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, in a 36, are there species of apistogrammas that can be kept together? The article you posted says that the cacauiodes require harems and are active breeders, which is not really what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They will eat them if they can get them into thier mouth. Cacatuoides Are awesome I highly reccomend them. Get a group of 4-6 you wont regret it. I would have some but my lfs never has them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to drive about 30-40 minutes to get them. I'm probably going to go with a few pairs of different species including cacatuoides, agassizi, and maybe a pair of rams. They also had a different species of dwarf cichlid but I can't remember the name.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
they will breed in that if conditions are good and water quality is good and they are fed well.

Any domestic strain will have NO issues at all in your water. If you got wild apistos from extreme blackwater, you might have a problem.

With the rams, keep in mind theylike it pretty warm so make your apisto choices accordingly.

Cacatuoides are my favorite, they are very personable.

I have always had the best luck with pairs for non-mouth brooding apistos.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Apistogramma borellii are perhaps the most peaceful of the Apistos, do great in a community tank and both tolerate and breed in harder, cooler water than most other Apistos. Your present tank conditions would actually do them quite well, but they'll do just as fine if you bring it down to meet Rummynose conditions...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still considering whether or not to go with a blackwater biotope or if I just want to get 2 or 3 pairs of cichlids to add to my community. I'll probably go with cacatuoides because the cacatuoides and agassiziis are the only ones I can find, and then a pair of South American dwarves that aren't apistos, but I forget the name. I'm not sure though whether or not I'm going to get rid of my dwarf rasboras and celestial pearl danios in order to make it a true biotope.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Agree with Rach and Jaafaman, love apistos, Cacatuodes are the easiest to keep, best from local trusted breeders. Females will get agressive. Hiding places in the set up are a must.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tank is pretty well planted with a lot of driftwood, so hiding places are everywhere. I like the cacatuoides so I think a pair of them will be my first ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.