The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago I seen some pics of a triple red and fell in love with them.. So I decided to maybe make my newly aquired 40G breeder into a community tank particularly for schooling fish like neon tetras, red barbs and chili rasboras. I was looking a videos of tripple reds on youtube and seen a tank with nice plants, a triple red, a german ram and a bunch of tetras. I will be reading up on the apistos for a while before I commit to anything but would love this combo in a community tank. The closest ive had to these fish are a electric blue ram, or maybe jack dempsy, but I do remember it being the bully in the tank but it was a bare 10 gallon with no hidding places. So if anyone feels free to rain on my apisto parade feel free or maybe let me know if im on the right track with these fish in a community planted tank. ps, will be using my tap water at 7-7.5 ph, gh 5, kh 2, tds 200.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
One of my local aquarium shops keeps their apisto cacatuoides all packed together in what looks likes a 40g breeder. I think he has about 30+ in there and they are breeding prolifically. They all seem pretty happy together but I'm not around all the time to check on them. I do know that by typical calculations that tank is well overstocked and that there's a great deal of maintenance required to keep the water parameters up.

I have experience keeping smaller numbers and I would highly recommend against having more than 1 male in a community tank. You need at least 36" of length to keep more than 1 male in my opinion otherwise the smaller one will get constantly get harassed. It will also be harder to feed that smaller male and he will eventually just wither away. With 36" or more of length, there is a better chance they will establish their own territories (but you will still see the larger one chase around the smaller one).

From my experience, male apistos are generally aggressive towards each other (even more so in the presence of a female).

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I haven't had Apisto's although I would very much like to. When I had Kribs in my 46g only one male and one female did well (the largest pair). Despite all the extra space they constantly harrassed the others. They didn't even seem to notice the other fish though. Definately post pics when you get it set up!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have two sets of Apistos in a community planted tank.

My first hand experience:

1. They are conspecific (mentioned earlier) aggressive with other Apistos. The two males I have flash each other flared fins and it ends at that - But I have a 36x18 tank with a few females to court.

2. Try one pair or a small harem 1 male, 2 females.

3. If you want more than one male - Provide loooots of plants/wood/stone to break sight lines. Take a look at my tank - there are 3 caves (wood and rock) and lots of broken sight lines.

4. Caves - they breed and love caves - Mine also like to bury themselves in Staurogyne repens bushes.

5. They are very interesting fish and leave my Coral reds, cardinals, otos, and corys alone.

6. Love blood worms, flakes, and pellets.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I forgot to add that you should be careful about having too many females in the same tank! The females are also pretty territorial and if you don't have enough space the dominant one will harass the other ones like none other. With a 40g breeder, having 1 male with 2-3 females should be plenty since each female needs at least 1 sq ft of space (better to have 18"x12" of space) to mark as territory (assuming you have sufficient plants/hardscape to break line of sight).

·
Registered
530 Posts
I forgot to add that you should be careful about having too many females in the same tank! The females are also pretty territorial and if you don't have enough space the dominant one will harass the other ones like none other. With a 40g breeder, having 1 male with 2-3 females should be plenty since each female needs at least 1 sq ft of space (better to have 18"x12" of space) to mark as territory (assuming you have sufficient plants/hardscape to break line of sight).
:proud:

I second this advice

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have two sets of Apistos in a community planted tank.

My first hand experience:

1. They are conspecific (mentioned earlier) aggressive with other Apistos. The two males I have flash each other flared fins and it ends at that - But I have a 36x18 tank with a few females to court.

2. Try one pair or a small harem 1 male, 2 females.

3. If you want more than one male - Provide loooots of plants/wood/stone to break sight lines. Take a look at my tank - there are 3 caves (wood and rock) and lots of broken sight lines.

4. Caves - they breed and love caves - Mine also like to bury themselves in Staurogyne repens bushes.

5. They are very interesting fish and leave my Coral reds, cardinals, otos, and corys alone.

6. Love blood worms, flakes, and pellets.
Can you post a couple pics of your tank?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks nice site. But hes saying the ph should be down aroun 5-6ph. I cant get mine below 7. Will I have problems

I don't have direct experience with Apistos and pH 7.

If they are tank raised I think they can handle 7, but wild ones like lower pH. It will affect their desire to breed, though.

Try asking this question on www.apistogramma.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
339 Posts
Most Apistos prefer a ph of at least neutral or lower but it is possible to breed Apistos in higher ph waters. My first Apistos were some Orange Flash Cacas and Ap. Alacrinas, both breed in my tap water with a ph of 7.4-7.6 so it is possible. Some batches I had fry up to 35-40 of em. I currently have a wild pair of Ap. sp. Tefe and and these have yet to breed for me but I've got my fingers crossed as they have begun to dance a little. Keeping Apistos is definitely an addiction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.