The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trio of A. cacatuoides, tank bred/raised, that I want to put in my main community tank. I will be picking them up this afternoon, roughly 1/2" long. 1 male, 2 females.

But they must be grown out before I put them in the community tank, if I ever actually do that.

Anyhow, I have an 11g rimless GLA (36X9X9) that is heavily planted/overgrown that's full of RCS, a trio of dwarf corys, and misc snails.

I know the Apistos are only a threat to juvenile RCS while the Apistos are so small, but do you think they, as adults, will be a thread to half-grown and mature RCS?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I didn't even read any of this thread. But if you put any shrimp in a tank with apistos, they will hunt them down and eat them.

The rule of thumb with fish: if they can fit it in their mouth they will eat it. If they can't, they will rip it apart until it fits.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I didn't even read any of this thread. But if you put any shrimp in a tank with apistos, they will hunt them down and eat them.

The rule of thumb with fish: if they can fit it in their mouth they will eat it. If they can't, they will rip it apart until it fits.

Very well put. Shrimp= fish food

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Yup. My dwarf frogs seemed fine for the past 6 months with my red cherries, then I found 1 dead fire red with a dwarf frog sitting on top of it, and another dead cherry and found the frog eating the shrimp. I'm not sure if it was dead or not and then the frog went for it, but it was the same frog, 2 days in a row, near or eating a dead shrimp. The shrimp had become used to and accustomed the frogs and would even sit on a frogs back and eat the shedding skin, so they didn't feel a threat and I think the frogs took advantage of that. lol. Needless to say, I now have a tank divider in my tank to keep the frogs on one side (and the neons) and the cherry on the other. Its a 20long so they both have lots of room and the divider has small holes so water circulation can still happen. Added a sponge filter on the shrimp side anyways and everyone seems happy.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info all!

I'll put the Apistos in there for now, since it's the only tank prepared for them, but once they've grown big enough to handle the main tank, I'll move them.

Meanwhile I'll remove and trade off some of the RCS and just accept the damages for what they do in the grow-out. Who knows, maybe the abundant food supply will result in a nice batch of Apisto fry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.