1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice video, I'm jealous. My apistos bread a few times, but I've never seen any actual fry. The eggs will be there in the cave for 2-4 days and then just dissapear. My tank is a jungle, so I guess it would be easy for some to get lost and be in there somewhere, but I haven't really seen any parenting going on so I kind of doubt it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice video, I'm jealous. My apistos bread a few times, but I've never seen any actual fry. The eggs will be there in the cave for 2-4 days and then just dissapear. My tank is a jungle, so I guess it would be easy for some to get lost and be in there somewhere, but I haven't really seen any parenting going on so I kind of doubt it.
Could be that someone or something in the tank is eating them. I have mine in species only tanks right now and they've been doing pretty good. This brood gave me ~24 and the other mother gave me well over 30

Aw, so cute! Little hovering scoots.
And it looks like you have a lot of copepods, they seem to be eating little invisible bits.
:laugh2: They've been having a blast, they're getting bigger, I'm going to be releasing a video of them at a month old, it's uploaded, I just haven't published. As for food they get a lot of good live food everything from BBS to microworms and whatever else gets in there.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Could be that someone or something in the tank is eating them. I have mine in species only tanks right now and they've been doing pretty good. This brood gave me ~24 and the other mother gave me well over 30
I figure it's something like that. It's a lightly stocked community tank. I'm not looking to be a breeder or anything like that, but I was hoping that a few would survive a little bit so I could at least see them and the apisto's attempt at parenting. I also have a feeling that that eggs might have never actually hatched.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

No problem. I just posted another video where they grew in a month on my channel if you want to check them out.

I figure it's something like that. It's a lightly stocked community tank. I'm not looking to be a breeder or anything like that, but I was hoping that a few would survive a little bit so I could at least see them and the apisto's attempt at parenting. I also have a feeling that that eggs might have never actually hatched.

It very well could be. Their eggs are bright red for me if they're fertile. If they're infertile mom will pick them off and eat them. They make great parents swimming about with the babies and if they get too far mom will suck them up and spit them where she wants them to be. They're a lot of fun to watch. I lose hours watching them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
Mine were kind of an orange/red color, but they were in a coconut shell cave which is kind of the same color, so it might have been picking it up from that. She would go in and out of the cave for days and chase anyone other than the male that came relatively close. Around when they should have hatched, nothing. I guess the eggs could have been eaten after not hatching, or the fry got eaten before I saw any of them. There have only been 2-3 attempts so far though so perhaps she's just not ready to get it right yet. Unfortunately the male she was breeding with died a week and a half ago. I had a sneaker male that is still coloring up, so hopefully it won't be too long before the two of them give it a try.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine were kind of an orange/red color, but they were in a coconut shell cave which is kind of the same color, so it might have been picking it up from that. She would go in and out of the cave for days and chase anyone other than the male that came relatively close. Around when they should have hatched, nothing. I guess the eggs could have been eaten after not hatching, or the fry got eaten before I saw any of them. There have only been 2-3 attempts so far though so perhaps she's just not ready to get it right yet. Unfortunately the male she was breeding with died a week and a half ago. I had a sneaker male that is still coloring up, so hopefully it won't be too long before the two of them give it a try.
Sorry to hear about your male, I know that if the water is right and they're happy they'll go at it like jack rabbits, so keep them happy and the params good and they'll be making babies for you :)

Very nice! Do you sell the offspring or keep them? I am interested if/when the time comes to part with them, let me know.
I'm starting a list of people who are interested, pricing would depend on # of fish and the colors you'd like. Double reds are cheaper than triples, and triples are cheaper than super reds. Both parents are super reds so I'm not sure how the breakdown is going to come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqVCLwJLPnc

^^ New video of the fry about a month old

·
Registered
668 Posts
Out of curiosity what are your water parameters? My tank has a low ph and pretty soft water. I read that they need a pretty low tds for the eggs to be able to be fertilized. I can't seem to get the tank under 215

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Out of curiosity what are your water parameters? My tank has a low ph and pretty soft water. I read that they need a pretty low tds for the eggs to be able to be fertilized. I can't seem to get the tank under 215
The Params have been a trip. The Babies will do alright and actually well in harder waters. I have a neutral PH and do multiple small changes a week. I keep my TDS well under 200 and they've been going at it like jack rabbits.

Count me as interested! I've been looking for a pair of triple reds for my new 55.

They're starting to grow and show colors! I've got at least two super red males coming from what I can tell so far. Please stay posted to my threads for pics and videos. A new one will be released this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts