The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 2 male A. Agassizii at Petsmart. They were labeled "Double Red". I couldn't resist giving them a shot after losing my mated male a few months ago. Crossing my fingers!:red_mouth

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hamilton plaza on rt 130. Near the Lowes and bj's. They might have males but whenever I go its only females, I think. Usually pretty drab in color. I would think the males would have some sort of color in them. They get their deliveries on Thursday.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The two males I picked were a little washed out at the store. They have perked up a bit in the last few days. I am looking forward to getting them out of QT and into the main tank. I think they have great potential. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

I was really surprised to see these guys at a big chain store. It seems logical that they would arrive at some point being very colorful and fairly easy to breed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any way to tell males besides color?
The fins on males and females are noticeably different also. The dorsal fin on males will usually have the third fin/spike longer than the rest, females will not have that. From what I've have noticed females will also have black in their pelvic fins (fin underneath it's belly) while males will usually be clear or colored. The tails of females are also rounded where as males depending on the species will have different shapes to them, such as Ap. Cacatuoides the males will have small extensions at the tips of their tails. Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.