The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to drop by with some iPhone shots of my fry. These guys are exactly two months old now! Starting to get a lot of color and some sexing going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Awesome. Any shots of the parents?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Any shots of the parents?
Sure thing!

Here's one of mom with the babies when they first started free swimming:

And here's one of my "big daddy"

·
Registered
668 Posts
Awesome stuff! Some really beautiful fish. A quick question for you. I picked up a beautiful trio of apistos last Thursday. I know about conditioning the females with good food. I've been feeding them well and one of the females is already getting her breeding colors and has picked out a cave. Is there anything that needs to be done to get the males going? The female is out and trying to attract him to the cave every time he comes by and he seems to mostly be ignoring her. He seems more interested in any other fish in the tank, and even when there are no other fish around (there isn't much in their besides the apistos) he seems oblivious to her trying to get his attention.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome stuff! Some really beautiful fish. A quick question for you. I picked up a beautiful trio of apistos last Thursday. I know about conditioning the females with good food. I've been feeding them well and one of the females is already getting her breeding colors and has picked out a cave. Is there anything that needs to be done to get the males going? The female is out and trying to attract him to the cave every time he comes by and he seems to mostly be ignoring her. He seems more interested in any other fish in the tank, and even when there are no other fish around (there isn't much in their besides the apistos) he seems oblivious to her trying to get his attention.

Sure thing! They take a while to settle. I know when I move my various females they take upwards of two weeks to resettle and be ready to breed again. The males will be quite selective of their females and may wait for them to reach full bright breeding colors in my experience. If there's a lot of dither fish he may be ignoring her because he feels it's unsafe to spawn. These guys are really complex and enjoyable fish. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
That probably explains it. Normally the only fish I have in the tank are the apistos, half a dozen espei rasboras and an oto. Monday I put in a pair of peacock gudgeons as I ended up with two pairs instead of one for another tank and figured I had the room for them in this tank. The Apistos don't seem happy about it even though the gudgeons don't bother them and stay out of their way. I'm planning on moving them back out this weekend.

The female is protecting her cave so maybe things happened but I guess it's wait and see

Both females are primed now. The three of them are swimming all around the tank having one big slap fight. I'm trying to get a video of it but they keep going into the plants whenever I have my phone ready. I don't know if anything will come of it but it pretty fun to watch

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both females are primed now. The three of them are swimming all around the tank having one big slap fight. I'm trying to get a video of it but they keep going into the plants whenever I have my phone ready. I don't know if anything will come of it but it pretty fun to watch
Yea they are a ball to watch, I've got spawning action going on again tonight, wasn't ready for it to be this soon but it is what it is. I'm working on getting a youtube video published for it. Just the female guarding and tending the eggs in her cave

------------

Here's a video update of the brood :-D Enjoy

https://youtu.be/nENbOAd8JlE

-- edit how the heck do you embed now >< --

·
Registered
151 Posts
Gorgeous!!

Will you be selling/shipping the fry when they're ready? I'm planning on setting up my 26g for Apistos. Any recommendations as far as numbers, tankmates, etc.?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gorgeous!!

Will you be selling/shipping the fry when they're ready? I'm planning on setting up my 26g for Apistos. Any recommendations as far as numbers, tankmates, etc.?
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been sick since I got home and am just now starting to feel a bit better.

Yes, I do plan on selling and shipping the fry when they're ready. For a tank that size a trio would be possible, however if they start spawning you'd have to watch the spawning female for aggression and or egg/cave raiding of the other female. I've had it happen just once and that was enough of that.

If you put more than one male in a tank, one will become the dominant male and the other will be a lot less showy. Though the coloration will return if the males are split up.

As for tankmates, I've been keeping them species only since I've been working on breeding them. I've heard of success with smaller dither fish such as danios but I would avoid anything big finned or flashy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts