The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced strange readings for pH from the API freshwater test kit? I got mine in the mail today and was so excited that I decided to test it out. When I measured everything other than the pH, the results were great and matched the color chart, but when it came to pH, it went to the 7.6 color box. This means that the pH is so high that it doesn't fit within that kit's range. I freaked out (super high for my tank) and decided to use the high range pH to see just how high it was. And I got the 7.4 result? This means that the pH is lower than 7.4, which is too low for that kit to measure. I'm so confused. Is my pH higher than 7.6 or lower than 7.4? I did the test twice for each and got the same results.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Both tests are a little odd at the extreme range. I would just write down 7.5 (halfway in between) and keep track of it. The actual pH is not really as important as monitoring to see that it is stable.
If it is following a daily cycle (such as from CO2 use by the plants) then it ought to rise and fall to the same levels at the same time of day.

If something else is going on in the tank and the pH is changing, look into it.
For example, if you have some limestone based rock or gravel then the pH will be rising. If you have organic matter decomposing, then the pH will be dropping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both tests are a little odd at the extreme range. I would just write down 7.5 (halfway in between) and keep track of it. The actual pH is not really as important as monitoring to see that it is stable.
If it is following a daily cycle (such as from CO2 use by the plants) then it ought to rise and fall to the same levels at the same time of day.

If something else is going on in the tank and the pH is changing, look into it.
For example, if you have some limestone based rock or gravel then the pH will be rising. If you have organic matter decomposing, then the pH will be dropping.
Alright great, thanks for the input! I will be keeping track of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.