The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some RO water this morning to add to my treated water for a water change. I tested the RO water pH with the API liquid test and it was high, WTF. So I tested pH with the high range test and it too read high. Basically the color of the pH test was bluer than the blue on the chart and the color of the high range test was purpler than the purple on the chart:icon_mad:. This would be higher than my normal tap water.

Is this result from the ph being lower than the API test kit can determine? Maybe cause there is no KH? I am assuming this to be the case but would like verification from those in the know.

This is a new RO unit and I performed the first use 5 min flush without the filter and the 30+ min flush with the filter installed. I even ran water through it for 5-10 min before I started filling my aquarium bucket.

Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flushing new carbon filters is important. But flushing main RO membrane without carbon pre filters can damage the RO membrane. And for the pH question TDS value is needed. Get any TDS meter and check the values before and after the RO unit, then we can see the whole picture.
Tested new batch of RO this evening. KH-0 and GH-0, as expected.

I used in my water change yesterday and all is well.

The before test of my tap water: PH-8.4 KH-~35ppm (2 dKH) GH-89 ppm(5 dGH)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I made some RO water this morning to add to my treated water for a water change. I tested the RO water pH with the API liquid test and it was high, WTF. So I tested pH with the high range test and it too read high. Basically the color of the pH test was bluer than the blue on the chart and the color of the high range test was purpler than the purple on the chart:icon_mad:. This would be higher than my normal tap water.

Is this result from the ph being lower than the API test kit can determine? Maybe cause there is no KH? I am assuming this to be the case but would like verification from those in the know.

This is a new RO unit and I performed the first use 5 min flush without the filter and the 30+ min flush with the filter installed. I even ran water through it for 5-10 min before I started filling my aquarium bucket.

Thank you
Wish my tap was that nice mines kh 14 degrees gh 26 degrees.
What I found that helps with api is I rinse the tube with test water shake then refill I get drastic different results when I don't do that. For instance ph 8+ or 6.4.
Give that a shot. I have my ro in a trashcan and it test at 7.
Let the ro sit over night and retest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"What I found that helps with api is I rinse the tube with test water shake then refill I get drastic different results when I don't do that. For instance ph 8+ or 6.4"

You may have just solved a mystery for me :-D The non-reproducibility of those titration tests has been making me crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts