The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The API has a nitrate test that the Tetra doesn't and the Tetra has the GH/KH that the API does not. So either way I'll have to buy one more item.

It looks like the API has a high and low range PH with seperate bottles. Looks like the Tetra is a broad range, but I am not sure. And also not sure if it makes a difference.

I keep hearing that Nitrate tests aren't reliable so that would sway me to the Tetra kit so I could find a better Nitrate test if the API isn't adequate. However, it's not like I'm going to spend Lamotte money to get the Nitrate so it would be a matter of a Hagen, Nutrafin, etc... Nitrate test.

Thanks!

Anthony

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My post could have been much clearer I agree, I wrote it when I was tired. I thought people would get the gist though since it was obvious that I am trying to compare 2 similar products.

Let me clarify:

-The API has a high and low range PH test. It looks like the Tetra has a broad range PH test, but I can't tell with the small pics. Anyone who has one know? And does it even make a difference anyhow?

-How does the API Nitrate test fare against other brands in the same price range?

-What is the quality of the Tetra GH/KH?

·
Registered
148 Posts
API PH, allows for .2+- differences, it's a little tough when you are in the 7.6-8.0 range because this is the crossover point where the kits overlap, and color differences are hard for me to discern.

My API Nitrate test kit quit reading properly within 2 months of purchase. I found little or no color change between 20-100ppm of nitrates, but, while it worked, it worked good.

I have no experience with tetra tests...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.