The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly defines "bright yellow" and "green" according to their test method? I didn't really see a comparison in the box...and everyone has their own idea of the colors I'd think.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
API hardness tests give an unequivocal reading, in my opinion. There is no interpretation needed. But, the GH test may not work at all if the kit is a little old, in my experience, and that can include not working the first time you open the box.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know that it's accurate, I was just wondering at what point I need to stop adding drops to know what my parameters are and was hoping that someone could provide a comparison color to use, because they don't ship one with the box.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Well I know that it's accurate, I was just wondering at what point I need to stop adding drops to know what my parameters are and was hoping that someone could provide a comparison color to use, because they don't ship one with the box.

basically if the water turns green 1st drop... it has < 17.9ppm GH
If the water turns green say 7th drop... it has 125.3ppm GH

same goes for KH. 1st drop water turns yellow means <17.9ppm KH
If the water turns yellow at 7th drop... it has 125.3ppm KH

*You will see the transformation from orange to green after the whatever drops (GH), and blue to yellow (KH)
*Again If you see no transition in color, 1st drop water turns green(GH) / 1st drop water turns yellow (KH). Means you have <1 degree gh/kh or 17.9ppm

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was confused by that too. It also doesn't help that I have color blindness which involves shades of green. I have to ask my wife to be sure each time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts