The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been getting algae all over my tank and plants. Has anyone ever tried these products? I have plants and tetras in my tank, I just dont want any harm to come to them from these products. any hepl? thank you.
- mark

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Using Algaefix in a tank is risky. Although there's people who've used it with no problems, there are also those who have lost fish because of it, including myself.

I admit Algaefix is pretty darn good at getting rid of algae. But if there's a problem with your tank setup which is causing the algae, then chances are it will only be a temporary solution. As long as the problem exists, the algae will keep returning, meaning more Algaefix and more risk.

It's better to try and solve the problem. Post details of your algae and tank setup and maybe we can figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
There was a time when I would have jumped at the chance to try Algaefix, but now I'm convinced that the hobby is much more fun if you aren't forever fighting off algae. That you can do easily by just using only as much light as is needed.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
There was a time when I would have jumped at the chance to try Algaefix, but now I'm convinced that the hobby is much more fun if you aren't forever fighting off algae. That you can do easily by just using only as much light as is needed.
For sure! I have a 4x39 watt T5HO Nova Extreme fixture and have no problems growing plants with just one bulb. I don't have to trim the steams weekly anymore. I am dosing PPS Pro and using pressurized CO2 with a yellow green 4 kdh drop checker. Algae issues aren't completely eliminated. I still get a little thread algae but, the dreaded BBA doesn't appear to be spreading anymore.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
But if there's a problem with your tank setup which is causing the algae, then chances are it will only be a temporary solution. As long as the problem exists
It's better to try and solve the problem. Post details of your algae and tank setup and maybe we can figure out what's wrong.
+10

Figure out WHAT's it...Photoperiod, Direct Light, Light Intensity..OVER FEEDING.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive been getting algae all over my tank and plants. Has anyone ever tried these products? I have plants and tetras in my tank, I just dont want any harm to come to them from these products. any hepl? thank you.
- mark
you say algae fix/ destroyer and then use the word products rather than product.

I have used API algae fix with some success but I agree with the other posts that it is not going to be a long term solution.

If you are also asking about the product called " Algae Destroyer " I would say definitively no. I believe it says (be it in fine print) not to be used with aquatic plants right on the bottle. So i would assume one of its ingredients would be rather harmful to your plants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.