The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an infestation of aphids on a bolting kale plant, and I was hoping to put it to some use. I know that guppies eat small bugs in the wild, and I was wondering if I could let the kale stalk sit in my guppy tank for a bit and let them have a treat.
Should I maybe scrape the aphids off the plant instead of sticking the whole plant in? I'm not sure if kale stalk is okay for guppies or not.

P.S. If it's okay for guppies, would it be okay for a betta?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Kale is OK for aquarium fish. Loricariads may eat it.

I have fed aphids to several species of fish that way:
Clip a twig and clamp it to the side of the tank with 90% of it under the water, where the fish can get to the aphids.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kale is OK for aquarium fish. Loricariads may eat it.

I have fed aphids to several species of fish that way:
Clip a twig and clamp it to the side of the tank with 90% of it under the water, where the fish can get to the aphids.
Thank you for the response :) May I ask which kinds of fish you have done this with? I'm interested in knowing which fish are okay with aphids.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of them should be fine, aphids aren't toxic. I'd imagine they might have a bit too much sugar to be fed as a primary part of a fish's diet, but your guppies and betta will go mad for all the squishy bits of bug.
Thank you!:smile2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I put a stalk with some aphids on it in my guppy tank. The guppies swam around it curiously, but didn't go for any aphids until I scraped some off and let them float on the surface. Then they ate a few each, but a few seemed to be enough, and they let the rest float for me to take out.
I haven't tried giving any to a betta yet.

Reactions: MCSLABS

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lol, I feed my guppies dandelion aphids and they loved it. Some get some sort of liquid poo, but because they are retarded, they keep on eating dandelion aphids like an American eating an In-N-Out Burger. (like me)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.