The Planted Tank Forum banner

AP Phosphate test.....

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RAGEo2 
#1 ·
I went out the store and bought the AP phosphate test, reason (my stems on my Glosso had turned brown) and I restocked my Nitrate test. My Nitrate was @ 80ppm Last night. I had just did a 50% water change Saturday Night and was quite surprised. Tested my phosphate ( I read the they are not reliable) it tested 5ppm. So I tested my tap water and it was 2ppm phosphate. So I am assuming since my goal should be:

Nitrates 10-20ppm
Phosphates 1.0-2.0 ppm
Iron 0.1-1.0 ppm
Potassium 10-20 ppm

I would just dose K. Does this make since. I mean if I already have 2ppm of P from my tap. I know under the EI method testing isn't needed but my stems turning brown got me worried, I know assuming in this hobby can mean DEATH......

#6 ·
520w/125 gallon= 4.16 w/gal.

That's a lot of light.

If you look at the KH/pH, you do not have even close to the right amount of CO2 ppm in there. You need a pH of about 6.3 using only CO2 to lower it.
High light, low CO2 = algae.

Regards,
tom Barr

#7 ·
Thank You for your input Tom. I did turn up the co2 yesterday and the fish seem ok but I am a little hesitant on turning it up until I find a drop checker. I had posted before that my Ph would swing as time went by that I had my CO2 on. It would start @ 7.0 @ 7am then drop to 6.2 by 5pm. So the question begs to be asked @ what time should I check my PH, maybe mid day?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.