The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm a pretty horrible aqua scaper so my wife usually does most of the arranging.

I'm wanting a nice jungle with keeping some swimming room for the discus.

Do you see anything you would recommend to add? Specifically anything under the big driftwood? I think it needs to be open but at the same time it looks so bare. I think plants would have a hard time with light being blocked.

I'm wanting the anubius and Java fern to take over, but they've been doing worse than better lately.

I just added a 48" planted plus to my 2 30" planted plus 24/7s to help with light.

It's a low tech tank with Amazon Swords, Wisteria, Ludwigia, S Repens, Jungle Val, Java fern, and anubius.

Would some moss be good toward the top left of the log where it's bare?

Any other plants or ideas would be welcome! Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think your tank looks great so far! (your wife definitely has an "eye") I'm no expert but I think maybe some Jungle Val planted underneath in the crook of the farthest right branch that comes down would balance the "jungle look". If you want the space under the driftwood to be open for swimming I would go with Petite Nana.....super easy...low light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Say that's one great looking tank with discus and all. Any comment from me would just leave it a lone! Check out simplydiscus.com for great info on caring/keeping discus fish. I'm a discus fish keeper and luv those guys.

·
Registered
358 Posts
you could add some medium sized crypts under the wood. Wendti comes to mind. There are many color variants of that species. That would be my choice and they would do well keeping with your low tech theme.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you're going for more of a low tech jungle look, one of my favorites there is Bolbitis. Fairly large, could grow it attached to wood, and grows well if slowly in low light. It would also give the tank some more variety as far as leaf shape goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.