The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering one of these filters, vs. a few others, but one thing is the size of this thing. I know its huge but would anyone that has one give me a rough size of this filter (dimensions). it is posted online that it is 16" in diameter and 17" high. the height is fine but to me 16" diameter seams very large, is this the diameter of the "lid" or is it including the lid and the pump that sticks out the bottom. I don't know why the real dimensions weren't posted on their website... it obviously is not perfectly round with the pump sticking out the bottom haha.

thanks all,
chris

·
Registered
251 Posts
the pump sticking out at the bottom is sorta like a toe to the actual filter. I would say it's about 4/5 inches long and 3 wide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's slightly larger than a 5 gallon bucket, about 3"-4" wider on the lid in diameter. The filter tapers down slightly but at the base of the filter, on the side is where the motor/draing/cord is attached. That's about 5". I currently own/run three of them. They are awesome filters and worth the money! A little more affordable than Eheim (Which I also own). You can get them on Ebay for $200 or less shipped!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got one, they're pretty big and heavy, yeah I'd say about a five gallon bucket or small garbage can. Where are you planning to put this. i Personally love my FX5 but the water flow is tremendous. It does manage to keep the water crystal clear in my SA Cichlid tank though. great filter as long as you have plant or fish that don't mind the force that comes out of the nozzle. It has adjustable valves though.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Heres a full view under my Fifty long and its next to a Five gallon for comparison, sorry bout the crappy pic, ran upstairs for a quicky :p i've had mine for a couple years now definitely worth the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone, i am trying to see if this would fit in the cabinet of my 55 gal, i know its a little big and i know the eheims have a proven track record but those things are just to expensive and i am on a budget haha, plus i don't like how the eheim classics don't have media trays!!! you have to dump it all out just to clean the filter ?? anyways, i can get a new FX5 or Rena XP3 for less than 200$ so those are my candidates, but i figure why not go with the bigger of the two if it would fit hence my question about the size...
Heres a full view under my Fifty long and its next to a Five gallon for comparison, sorry bout the crappy pic, ran upstairs for a quicky :p i've had mine for a couple years now definitely worth the money.
cole99v,thanks for the picture size comparison, another question for you.. how is the filter on your 50 gal, do you think its a little to much filter for your tank and would you put the same filter on that tank again if you had to get a new one??, just wondering cause my tank is almost the same size..(55)... :icon_smil

i also am planing on making a custom spray bar to help with the high flow velocity if i go with the FX5..

G

·
Chris30559 I had one under my 55 gallon (wooden cabinet) I just had to put a small piece of wood laying flat cause it stuck out the back to much. I was happy with the filter at first but all it does now is collect dust now. I removed that and went with two 2217's. I was not happy with the way the filter cleaned I thought there was to much bypass. One last thing I dont think I would make a spary bar if I ever used it again instead I would split the output and have one on each side of the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts