The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to change the substrate in my 55 gallon, I need any and all help i can get, Does anyone have anything at all that might help me to turn this into a nice planted tank? anywhere from CO2 to filters, substrate, spare plants, SHRIMP,driftwood, anything...?
Thank You
F.kid

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Need some cherry shrimp? We are nearly over-run with them. We also have some plants stems, that you could have.

For substrate in our 55g I used about half Shultz Aquatic potting soil and half plain old well washed pea-gravel (available at Home Depot at about $3 for 50 lbs). Pea gravel is pretty heavy, but my plants like it and it sure is cheaper than expensive gravels.

Of course, if you could afford it, Shultz is about $6-8 a bag and you would probably need 3 or 4 bags. It is crazy light, so I would still mix it with some pea-gravel to help hold the plants down.

What kind of fish do you have in it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For now I Have 3 Giant Danios, a breeding pair of Cons, and a 3.5" Bushy nose pleco... I dont think i am going to plant this tank and if i do maybe only with mosses and Anubias(sp.?) but for all my other tanks cherry shrimp and some stems would be awsome!!!
Are you going to be up north in the broomfield area anytime soon!!!?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Probably not, but if we do, we will let you know.

Might you be able to make it to one of the CAS (Colorado Aquarium Society) mettings, or know someone near you who will?

Colorado Aquarium Society

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I don't drive yet and my dad just had spine surgury so not for a while but I get my license in June so I will most likely come to them when I can shuttle my self down their...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not to thread hijack here, but I have a couple of questions...

Do you think the cherry shimp could/would be ok in a livebearer tank with larger mollies, many platies, a few burmese botias, and some rainbowfish? If so, I could be interested. I'm just afraid they'll become dinner, and I would rather someone else have them than to see them get eaten! Please let me know.

Also, any chance they could survive in a barely planted tank with dwarf central american mellow cichlids? Probably not, but just thought I would ask. Some say amanos will, but having some trouble finding them.

I also am looking for some low growing "carpet like" plants for my new 40g. Prefer something 3" max or less. Anyone have any they would like to find a new home for?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't have much in the way of carpet plants going yet, but losta shrimp. However, I have mine with some pretty big guppies, but I think with bigger fish like you have, they wouldn't have much luck breeding, and even the big ones might be eaten.

Just let me know if either of you can get to a CAS meeting, and I will bring some shrimpies for you.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks TAF CAF, but if they likely will be a nighttime snack for my fish, I'll let someone else have them. I can feed them other goodies that aren't alive. Appreciate the offer though!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Taf Caf - on second thought, we are planning on attending the next meeting (details on the where and when will need to be double checked), and it will be our first one. I would gratefully take you up on the offer of any plants you have extra (except the super huge varieties), and some spare shrimp if the offer is still open. I'm setting up a new 40g and don't have much to add to it yet in the way of plants, and the shrimpies would be fabulous in my fry grow out tank! It would give the little fry something to do with themselves and keep the tank clean, and the shrimpies might even be able to multiply there. Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts