The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I wanted to get a small co2 system for my 20g and didnt want to spent $200 on a paintball setup so I figured I would try this. I was looking at the Fluval set up but didnt like the small setup. So I decided to get this fairly new setup and thought the 45g tank should last a few weeks. Well when I got it, went to sent it up and the regulator wouldnt seat on the cartriage enough to pop a good hole in the cartriage. After trying about 10 times I got it, the regulator went to 1000psi and it worked like a charm for about 4 dys. It was finnlly a good feeling to actually see time co2 bubbles coming out like Ive only seen in videos. But then the reg dropped to 500psi a couple days later, which I thought was normal just adjust the reg. Worked for like 2 days and then nothing. I contacted ISTA and they said the oring was too thick in the reg not allowing the needle to seat, which I thought from the beginning. Im just not impressed with this system, it would be ok for my ebi tank if I shut the flow off everynight. Anyone else have any of the ISTA products, i really want their 1 liter setup but think I should just go with a real setup. Anyone want this thing im willing to get rid of it for maybe $30.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Any of these cartridge systems really suck because they don't last and you have to buy their expensive refills. As much as everyone hates the initial cost of a CO2 setup, it's the upfront cost and then small maintenance costs. The cartridge systems are the opposite. Cheap upfront cost, but they get you on the refills.

$200 upfront and $15 every 4 months to refill

or

$50 upfront and $30 every month to refill.

you can quickly see which ones is going to outpace itself quickly.

I rather dose Excel than use those things.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What do you guys think about Red Sea's CO 2 setup for hook up to a 5 lb tank. I had one years ago and it work really good. I like the CO 2 diffuser that comes with it. Power head type. I have the Fluval 88g system on my 7.9 gal tank. Its ok but, pay up to for a refill ($18-$20) per month. I get a month out of one refill.

Ronnie

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Any of these cartridge systems really suck because they don't last and you have to buy their expensive refills. As much as everyone hates the initial cost of a CO2 setup, it's the upfront cost and then small maintenance costs. The cartridge systems are the opposite. Cheap upfront cost, but they get you on the refills.

$200 upfront and $15 every 4 months to refill

or

$50 upfront and $30 every month to refill.

you can quickly see which ones is going to outpace itself quickly.

I rather dose Excel than use those things.
You're actually understating the cartridge cost. Once a month? Maybe on a pico. 45 grams is 1.6 ounces, which is less than a tenth of the volume of a typical paintball canister, which itself is 1/4th the size of a 5lb cylinder. And then further reduce the duration by 66% if there's no solenoid to turn it off for 2/3 of every day.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
What is up with all these post lately about disposable Co2 cartridges?

Yo Getochkn, I notice you are in the great white north. In Toronto, you can get a 5lb refill on the spot for 23 bucks OR a 20 - 24 oz refill for 6 bucks. The difference works out to be almost the same.

What 15 dollars are you talking about? A 5lb?

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I was about to buy this setup for a nano but skipped it for all reasons above. I have posted this thread before and though it's not a cheap setup (but uses the same regulator as ADA setups with some benefits) and it's the only way I would go. However, it seems like a paintball setup makes more sense which makes less sense than a 5lb or more setup. Not saying anyone is bad, this is the only disposable one I have seen that I was willing to consider, given long run costs:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101417

I know people hate to hear a lot of what people are saying but having a "regular" CO2 setup first, it is hard to make sense of the cost of most disposable systems, especially since on many, you don't even know if refills will be available in the future. I have tried to justify a disposable setup and I personally can't. That's my opinion. Most people who disagree end up with a nice new setup in months, not years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.