The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the concept and was considering one for my next tank if others are finding them useful and effective.

It looks like Aquatop and Mr. Aqua have them available but have not heard much about them.

Does anyone know if the intake is a standard size so that I could use a SS intake?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
im not quite sure why you would want one on a shrimp tank. and even normal uv sterilizers you have to change the bulb quite a bit because the become to week to work right even though the light is still bright.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was considering using on on a new tank I am setting up for higher quality shrimp and was looking for input from anyone using them to decide if it was worthwhile or ot.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did anyone reccomend it? I know big breeders with multi tank systems use them as a nessecity to prevent disease but was not sure how much benefit there was for single tank setups.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was my thought and was interested in what others thought or had experienced.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
It will increase temperature. It will get dirty often-you have to clean bulb every month.
Otherwise it is good to have it -just in case of infection.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like it might not be bad to have to use if needed. Do those aquatops use a standard size pickup so that it will be easy to get a stainless prefilter?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Idk I feel like the HOB UV sterilizers seem a bit gimmicky tbh. I think that for UV sterilizers to be effective, flow rate should be low and exposure rate should be high. Since HOB's have a high turn over rate, I think the overall effectiveness is mostly negligible. Perhaps a separate devoted UV sterilizer would be more effective. I just don't believe the overall effect will be worth $30 increase in the filter.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I pretty much agree although the filters don seem to be that expensive from what I saw. Probably just $10 more than a comparable filter. But I think I will pass on it. Have not had the need and hopefully will not in the future!!!!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The Aquatop has infinitely adjustable flow adjustment, down to zero. Which really makes the filtration portion the gimmick. The media capacity is laughable anyway. I would never rely on it as the sole filter.

I suggest not thinking of it as a HOB at all. Instead think of it as a UV sterilizer that takes virtually no space in your tank, yet doesn't require plumbing like an external or inline sterilizer. That's its true strength in my opinion.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For that purpose it might not be bad to keep around as you could use it on any tank if needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts