The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone is using this chat? It is wonderful with lots of details.
http://www.finostrom.com.gr/images/aqua/fertilizers/map.htm

I have a low tech tank (2wpg) with relative heavy fish load and hard water. My plants are turning yellow and melting away, I also have green spot algae. According to this chart, I should have:

1. Nitrogen, potassium, magnesium, Calcium and sulphur deficiency, and
2. phosphorus excess.

Since I have a heavy bio load, my N&P should be way up there. nitrate's constantly in the 40-80 range. How can I have deficiency in N? Since I also have hardwater, gh=200ppm+, can I experience deficiency in Mg and Ca?

Although that would not match info on the chat, would it be possible that all I am lacking is K and SO4? If that's case, would k2SO4 help balance it off?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Most likely you are missing K and traces. If you don't have enough trace minerals then it can appear as all kinds of stuff.

Also are you injecting CO2?

Also Tom Barr has disproved several items on that chart.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rex. Low tech affair, no CO2. I am gonna start dosing K and Trace. I was so confused after using that chart to diagnose my problems.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've seen it before, along with other "deficiencies" charts.

Some seem a bit vague to me, while others seem overcomplicated. I prefer to make a list of possible problems ( light, CO2 , individual nutrients,etc.) and then just rule out one at a time until I'm left with either a positive match or a "hmmm. Maybe?" .

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Many such charts are confusing and end up chasing more things than you learn from them.

They also tend to be very general in terms of the expression of the symptoms. They all sound the same in other words. We deal with 300 species of plants, not one species. While references might suggest NH4 is preferred under specific circumstances and with specific species, that does not apply well to our system with 299 other plant species and generally, at least hopefully less, than 0.5ppm of NH4.

It's hardly a mandate.
The K+, Mg, Ca blocking baloney is just that.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most likely you are missing K and traces. If you don't have enough trace minerals then it can appear as all kinds of stuff.

Also are you injecting CO2?

Also Tom Barr has disproved several items on that chart.
Gotten some K2SO4 and Plantex CSM+B from a friend who sold his tank. Should I assume that chemical like these do not have a shelf life? I can use Chuck's Planted Aquarium Calculator for K2SO4 but how do I calculate the dosage of CSM+B? Chuck's Planted Aquarium Calculator doesn't have plantex.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many such charts are confusing and end up chasing more things than you learn from them.

They also tend to be very general in terms of the expression of the symptoms. They all sound the same in other words. We deal with 300 species of plants, not one species. While references might suggest NH4 is preferred under specific circumstances and with specific species, that does not apply well to our system with 299 other plant species and generally, at least hopefully less, than 0.5ppm of NH4.

It's hardly a mandate.
The K+, Mg, Ca blocking baloney is just that.

Regards,
Tom Barr
You are right Tom, I was having fun reading the chart. Lots of detail and nicely presented. I hitted a wall when the chart basically indicated that my tank was low on N, P, K, Ca and Mg, with a high bio load and hardwater, how can my N,P,Ca and Mg be deficient?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts