The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone got any experience of using D65 (6500K) natural daylight lighting? I'd like to run some experiments and I'm considering the Waveform Lighting Absolute Series, an example of which is below:

I'm not at the stage of being able to do any experiments just yet. So, this is just a fact-finding mission that I'm on right now. Just getting ahead of myself.

Anon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've run a few tanks on bulbs at 6500k. Some regular light bars operate at that range as well. If you are wondering if you can grow plants with this light, the answer is yes.
Hi @minorhero

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've run a planted tank at 6500K. But, I'm interested in trying a D65 that replicates the whole of the daylight spectrum. At least, that's what I'm led to believe.

Anon

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Hi @minorhero

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've run a planted tank at 6500K. But, I'm interested in trying a D65 that replicates the whole of the daylight spectrum. At least, that's what I'm led to believe.

Anon
Ah, I see. Well, I've never used what waveform calls D65 to light a tank. I did buy one of their bulbs when I was into testing various lights. I haven't used it to light a tank simply because its one of those corn cob lights and it turns out, those are terrible to light up tanks. I am literally using it as a regular light bulb in my laundry room right now ;P

Anyway, while I've never used their lights to grow plants, I would be SHOCKED if they didn't work just like any other light of similar power. The thing going for them is that they should make colors pop a bit better with their very high cri.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Ah, I see. Well, I've never used what waveform calls D65 to light a tank. I did buy one of their bulbs when I was into testing various lights. I haven't used it to light a tank simply because its one of those corn cob lights and it turns out, those are terrible to light up tanks. I am literally using it as a regular light bulb in my laundry room right now ;P

Anyway, while I've never used their lights to grow plants, I would be SHOCKED if they didn't work just like any other light of similar power. The thing going for them is that they should make colors pop a bit better with their very high cri.
I've used 6500k cobs with a cri of 95 plus measured against the d65 standard. ( d65 is just the spectrum of daylight @6500k).

99 is a tad more " natural" by definition.
That said from a visual perspective it may not be more "colorful" than lower cri arrays. These are generally not white based though (rgb).

Is 95cri any better than 99cri?
Doubt it.

Certainly is cheaper

There are some tricks i.e. the missing parts are different in similar spec-d diodes

Think I'd take the Bridgelux spectrum over a blur pump "D65"

Now if you are referring to violet pump d65 rated lights that is a different animal.

I've only used 5600k 95+ cri cob's.
Found little visual difference between this and the blue pump high cri cobs.

Now 2 very important things.

Cri rating is based only on the first 8 colors, not the full
chart usually shown. This stanard is considered somewhat problematic w/ leds and is being replaced.

Adding violet may color up plants a bit more due to the higher energy light. Has nothing to do w/ d65.

Sooo if you want an experiment, you might consider violet vs blue pump in high cri strips.

You can have both blue and violet pump diodes with an equal d65 rating of 95 plus.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @minorhero & @jeffkrol

It's a long time since I designed my BML lighting and I have a lot of catching up to do. There have been some significant developments in LED lighting over the last few years, it seems. But, I run a lot of experiments on my tanks and I like the idea of replicating natural daylight. That's what draws me to D65 lighting. I'm not trying to make my plants' colours pop. I recently became aware of purple LEDs. Would either of you guys like to point me to some online reading material where I can hope to bring myself up-to-date?

Thanks in advance.

Anon

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Hi @minorhero & @jeffkrol

It's a long time since I designed my BML lighting and I have a lot of catching up to do. There have been some significant developments in LED lighting over the last few years, it seems. But, I run a lot of experiments on my tanks and I like the idea of replicating natural daylight. That's what draws me to D65 lighting. I'm not trying to make my plants' colours pop. I recently became aware of purple LEDs. Would either of you guys like to point me to some online reading material where I can hope to bring myself up-to-date?

Thanks in advance.

Anon
KYOCERA Develops World’s First Full-Spectrum LED Aquarium Lighting | Noticias | KYOCERA Spain

Can start there.

lots of info here:

Colorfulness Product Font Line Parallel

Reactions: Anon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KYOCERA Develops World’s First Full-Spectrum LED Aquarium Lighting | Noticias | KYOCERA Spain

Can start there.

lots of info here:

View attachment 1038809
Hi @jeffkrol

Many thanks for the information and I'm slowly making my way through it. The Kyocera stuff is particularly interesting. I'm quite familiar with this company from - wait for it - 45 years ago! I used their ceramics for thick-film electronic circuits that were used in automotive electronics.

Anon

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Hi @jeffkrol

Many thanks for the information and I'm slowly making my way through it. The Kyocera stuff is particularly interesting. I'm quite familiar with this company from - wait for it - 45 years ago! I used their ceramics for thick-film electronic circuits that were used in automotive electronics.

Anon

Sorra discontinued 5000k (highest k temp they made) at one point.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.